Showing related tags and posts for the Current Events forum. See all tags in the site
  • Crowdfunding - The End of "Intellectual Property"?

    "Intellectual Property", as we all know, is a based on the flawed notion that ideas, information, and facts can be owned, much like physical property. I won't get into the IP debate for those who disagree, but I assume because of the place where I am posting this that most of you will agree...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Greendogo on Wed, Dec 5 2012
  • The end of Internet FREEDOM

    From the Mises Blog : This pending PROTECT IP Act is very scary stuff. I am afraid it’s going to pass. It will result in a huge increase in governmental censorship of the Internet, requiring all American ISPs to block certain domains, thus depriving Americans of access to “censored”...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by John James on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Have you heard of the recent internet censorship bill: S.3804?

    Hello, I've been reading articles on the Mises website for a while now. this is the first time I'm posting anything here. a recent bill has been introduced and is being pushed by the entertainment industry. I don't see a lot of buzz on the media (though I admit, I don't really look )...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Gabriel Tobal on Fri, Nov 19 2010
  • Add tax to hard drives and mp3 players: actors

    By Jennifer Ditchburn, The Canadian Press OTTAWA - A handful of Canadian actors slipped into the role of government lobbyist Tuesday, roaming Parliament Hill to press politicians on concerns they have about a copyright bill. Familiar faces such as Peter Keleghan of CBC's "18 to Life" and...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by djussila on Tue, Nov 16 2010
  • Joe Rogan on IP

    I thought this article contained an interesting quote from Joe Rogan concerning IP. UFC threatens to go after online PPV pirates The Ultimate Fighting Championship wants to shut down free online streams of its pay-per-view broadcasts. "It's going to be a battle, but I'm ready to ... fight...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by mandarin on Wed, Jan 6 2010
  • Pirate Party of Sweden gains EU parliament seat.

    The Swedish Pirate party have won a seat! For those unfamilier with t he goals of the party: 1. Reform of copyright law 2. An abolished patent system. 3. Respect for the right to privacy. "Privatized monopolies are one of society’s worst enemies, as they lead to price-hikes and large hidden...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Mr Civil Libertartian on Sun, Jun 7 2009
  • "We own the patent for breast cancer cells, and we're keeping it".

    http://us.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/12/us.genes.lawsuit/index.html "Myriad Genetics, a Utah-based company, vowed Wednesday to "vigorously defend" itself against a legal challenge to its patents on two human genes linked to breast and ovarian cancers, its attorney told CNN.... ...Myriad and...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Mr Civil Libertartian on Wed, May 13 2009
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)