Showing related tags and posts for the General forum. See all tags in the site
  • Is there such a thing as a ‘necessary’ evil?

    It puzzles me how many people say this or that thing or particular action is a ‘necessary’ evil. Didn’t you just say it is evil? If it is evil then how is it necessary? How can you do good by doing something evil? Necessary evil seems pretty much like an oxymoron to me. This happens...
    Posted to General (Forum) by Dylan of Rivia on Fri, Apr 20 2012
  • A Praxeological Foundation for Randian Ethics

    After carefully reading Tara Smith's books (Viable Values and Ayn Rand's Normative Ethics), and Rasmussen's paper A Groundwork for Rights, I'm convinced Ayn Rand provided a solid grounding for libertarian ethics. The problem is that Objectivists usually cloak their meta-ethical arguments...
    Posted to General (Forum) by tunk on Sun, Oct 9 2011
  • Best Fiction (Books or Movies) With a Theme of Freedom

    I feel like this could end up being a fun post. I still haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I've heard from everyone that it's a great book and promotes the free market. What are some other good books and movies that support the idea of a free society. Only fiction, please. However, if you know...
    Posted to General (Forum) by BrianAnderson on Sat, Jun 26 2010
  • Virtue Ethics

    Upon examination, I have recently found that virtue ethics has had a greater and greater appeal to me. As I understand philosophy, ethics is a subgroup of axiology, the study of values (good and bad). Thus, ethics is ultimately the study of objectively good and bad actions. Unfortunately, the ethical...
    Posted to General (Forum) by krazy kaju on Tue, Nov 10 2009
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)