  • Goods and Austrian bads

    Austrian economics claims that everyone values more of a good than less. However, I don't see how this can be universally true. For example, let's say that I have the choice between having my dog fetch me 2 dead cats to eat, and 5 dead cats to eat. I like to eat dead cats (for whatever reason...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Buzz Killington on Wed, Oct 31 2012
  • Re: The epistemological status of Praxeology.

    Yes, the analogy is a bit badly chosen. And proofs for the existance of God are usually far more elaborate. Sometimes they are kind of a tautological or axiomatic nature and use introspection. Human action could be disputed by claiming that humans are just automatons that act upon stimuli, which can...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Torsten on Wed, Jun 27 2012
  • Question on designing Austrian Economics research proposal

    Hi, I'm taking a stab at applying for a PhD (don't know where yet) and am in the process of writing a research proposal. Am looking into the possibility of trying to understand the 'wisdom' if you will of the prohibition against usury as prescribed in many religious texts (Christianity...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Yumashell on Tue, Dec 27 2011
  • Re: Austrian Economics and Lean Manufacturing

    [quote user="xahrx"]I'm interested in others' responses to this as well. I work in manufacturing and we're trying to turn one of our plants around right now to a lean approach. And the biggest pushback is the people on the line and supervisors. They remind me of government bureacrats...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Torsten on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • New Praxeological Axiom?

    Could the statement People Are Ignorant be taken as a praxeological axiom? For this discussion, ignorance can be defined as lacking knowledge and not necessarily a statement about a person's reasoning ability, although it could be argued that this too, is finite. If so, what ramifications could be...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Woody on Fri, Feb 25 2011
  • Long's Theory of Logic and Praxeology

    Recently I've been reading Long's Praxeological Investigations: Wittgenstein, Austrian Economics, and the Logic of Action . It's quite interesting, and dovetails with a lot of my thoughts on Wittgenstein, and also points out paralells between Mises, Wittgenstein. Frege and Husserl tha I hadn't...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Vichy Army on Sat, May 1 2010
  • Thought Experiments on Artificial Intelligence

    As time goes on, humans will build better and better artificial intelligences, barring major disasters. As such, it is probable that there will one day be the technology and information available to make artificial intelligences that are similar to humans in cognitive capabilities, and possibly act in...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Ryan on Tue, Feb 9 2010
  • Austrian Economics is not axiomatic economics?

    What do Austrians think of Victor Aguilar's critique of Mises and the Austrian school in www.axiomaticeconomics.com ?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Mon, Jan 18 2010
  • Compendium of Praxeological Statements

    Hello all! Lately, I have been struggling with a few finer (yet critical) points of Austrian theory, namely praxeological statements such as the Quantity Theory of Money. It seems to me that if we make a statement such as the QToM (especially the "other things being equal" clause of it) and...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Anthony Comegna on Thu, Dec 10 2009
  • Absolutely laughable reply in thread on AE

    I got the following reply recently on this thread. I'm not going to bother responding yet, but found it so amusing I thought I'd share it with you. The guy is literally claiming that Mises and the Austrians claim value is equal and ranked at the same time. He also claims without a doubt that...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by abskebabs on Sun, Oct 25 2009
Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >