Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • "Gouging": The Beauty of the Market and the Role of Prices

    I live in Blackburg, VA, far away from the coastal areas of the Gulf; however, that didn't stop the hysteria of "Gas is running out! Top off your tanks!" from hitting here. On Friday (9/12), I was heading home from work and noticed that every gas station where the price was $3.55 - $3.85...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by richie2044 on Sun, Sep 14 2008
  • Re: Help needed - Monopolist Profit and Savings

    Thanks for the answer, I think I have to be more detailed in my question/argument. The whole argument has to be seen in the context of legally enforced break-up of production chains (undbundling) in the name of 'liberalization' (NOT deregulation). [excerpt from my current argument] Let us assume...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by dietwald on Sat, Feb 9 2008
  • Help needed - Monopolist Profit and Savings

    I need some serious assistance right now: I'm working on a paper that evaluates the impact of Open Access regulations (Third Party Access) to natural gas pipelines, and I wonder if I can make the following argument; - Forcing open access reduces the profit of pipeline operators (not controversial...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by dietwald on Sat, Feb 9 2008
  • Re: The minimum wage

    > The Austrian theory of price determination is based on double inequality of valuations < That is fine for single instances of a transaction, but the normal business model calls for repedity of transaction. The same product will be sold again and again, and so the price determination is a bit...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Arman on Mon, Jan 28 2008
  • US economists win Nobel prize

    There is an article in the FT about the three economists who just won the Nobel prize in economics. Here is a quote that jumped out at me: One of the basic problems in economics is that markets are remarkably efficient, but they work best only under rather extreme assumptions. If information held by...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by DBratton on Mon, Oct 15 2007
  • Re: The Myths surrounding the phenomenon of inflation...

    [quote user="A.B. Dada"] ...I still disagree completely. Price increases are not always caused by inflation of the money supply. Inflation of the money supply CAN dilute your dollar, but it isn't required to, because your dollar's purchasing power is market-specific, not overall economy...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Torsten on Sat, Sep 29 2007
Page 2 of 2 (16 items) < Previous 1 2