  • Re: The Myth That Is Falling Real Wages

    'Commies and other wacko leftists often like to claim that real wages are falling in the United States, and that this fall is due to "free markets."' How I love a polemic argument! So, the BLS data that Dr. Perry has plotted I believe to come from the following report, and other similar...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by TheQuaklic on Thu, Dec 29 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    Hey folks: As a teacher in a public high school, I have an interest in justifying my salary. I tend to think it is higher than a free market would allow, but I wonder if the very low private school teacher salary is a realistic indicator of a free market situation, or if the real going rate would would...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Fri, Aug 19 2011
  • Wal-Mart causes lower wages, increases unemployment

    http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/retail/walmart_downward_push07.pdf Empirical evidence suggests that employees at Wal-Mart earn lower average wages and receive less generous benefits than workers employed by many other large retailers. But controversy has persisted on the question of Wal-Mart’s...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by geniusiknowit on Wed, Jun 15 2011
  • Why Hoover's High Wage Policy had effect?

    When trying to understand the causes of the Great Depression, the most important thing to understand, in my opinion, would be the high unemployment at the time. So, the best explanation I saw, coherent to economic theory, is that at the time, Hoover had stablished a "High Wage Policy", that...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Gabriel Godinho on Thu, Feb 10 2011
  • Productivity and wages?

    I came across a couple of articles in the New York Times and other sources that showed a disconection between raises in productivity and wages. e.g.: In THIS article they argue that wages and productivity correlation are based on union's pressure and has nothing to do with markets. Austrian theory...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by budmad on Sun, Mar 14 2010
  • Wages under inflation

    I've read in a few places that wages are affected by inflation and deflation later than other prices, but I can't find any books or articles that explain why this is so or that offer evidence to show that it is so. Can anyone please help me find something? Thanks.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by vekkna on Mon, Jun 8 2009
  • Ludwig Von Mises vs. Milton Friedman? PLEASE HELP ME

    I have read some works by Milton Friedman, Ludwig Von Mises, Adam Smith, and Ayn Rand; and they all seem to be correct! What are the primary philosophical differences between these individuals, especially Milton Friedman and Ludwig Von Mises. Furthermore, what distinguishes that Austrian School from...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by StephenEstes on Tue, Apr 28 2009
  • Can inflation be useful?

    I am new to economics. I’m still in college for electrical engineering. I read the daily articles religiously. And anything else I can get my hands on. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Is it possible for inflation to be good for the economy? I think that what would naturally come with the...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by brewster4744 on Wed, Nov 19 2008
  • Re: Capitalism Misrepresented

    [quote user="Stranger"]The workers can walk away from their jobs at any time if their wages are unsatisfactory. They can do this because they have no capital invested in the enterprise tying them to it.[/quote] I was talking about workers not getting the agreed payment at all. They may have...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Torsten on Wed, Aug 6 2008
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)