  • Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Mises ... comprehended Time.

    As I have mentioned a few times in my last several posts, for the past eighteen months I have been touring the set of Britannica's Great Books that a friend gave to me. Among the many classic works of history and literature are included some of the classic works of science: Newton's Principia, Darwin's Origin of Species, and a score of others
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Sat, Sep 26 2009
  • Mises, Champion of Children

    I am always amazed at the massive difference between Keynes and Mises - one of the most important being that of their differing emphases on time. Keynes is the great champion of the Present: "In the long run, we are all dead." Mises is the champion of the Future: "At the outset of every step forward on the road to a more plentiful existence
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Sat, Sep 19 2009
  • Austrian thought versus Roman Thought

    As I said a couple blog entries ago, a friend of mine gave me the full set of Encyclopedia Brittanica's Great Books last year. The editors of the series mention that they did not allow any twentieth-century works, as the works were too recent (as of the 1950s) to evaluate as "Great Books." Over the last year, I have often thought that
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Thu, Sep 17 2009
  • Moore's "Law" and Keynes - What if?

    I started working at NVIDIA nine months ago, so Moore's Law is a daily theme in my head of late. And given my interest in economics, I sometimes wonder whether Moore's Law will ever have a measurable impact on economics. Certainly, if computers and robots start doing a majority of the "manual labor" in the world economy, then Moore's
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Sat, Sep 12 2009
  • Mises's Law

    I haven't blogged in about a year, mostly because a friend of mine gave me the complete set of the Great Books (from Brittanica). A gift like that is enough to set one behind for a lifetime, never mind a single year! It's also enough to scramble the brain for a while, so I couldn't write anything worth reading. So after plowing through a
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Sat, Jul 18 2009
  • Hoppe's "paper law": a post-modern view?

    Today's daily article on Mises.org, Hoppe's " On the Impossibility of Limited Government and the Prospects for a Second American Revolution ," reminded me of a section in Walter Truett Anderson's book Reality Isn't What It Used To Be . Both Hoppe's mention of "paper law" and his statements about the Constitution
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Sat, Jun 28 2008
  • Mises and protein folding

    I write flight simulation software for a living, and thus the machine at my desk has to have a relatively recent graphics processing unit (GPU). Maybe not the most bleeding edge GPU, but something at least relatively recent. Thus one (small) requirement of my job is to maintain an acquaintance with the capabilities of GPUs as they evolve over time.
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Sun, Jun 8 2008
  • The Vestigial Mind of Robert Reich

    I just finished reading Robert Reich's "The Work of Nations"; I'm not familiar with the body of Mr. Reich's work, but the first half of the book interested me somewhat as I leafed through it in a used book store. Besides, Wikipedia says that it is probably his most important work, being translated into 22 languages. (The below
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Wed, May 28 2008
  • Social Graphs: Network Science and Mises

    After blathering about social graphs through my last few blog entries, I finally had an intelligent idea: check the local used book store for volumes about social graphs. Some real research is far better than my stream of consciousness, right? And lo and behold, I came across Duncan Watts's book Six Degrees: the Science of a Connected Age . After
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Sun, Feb 10 2008
  • Social Graphs and Transparency (and Rwanda)

    Continuing my thoughts about social graphs, I thought that I would list some assumptions that (the social graph of) my brain currently makes on behalf of social graphs. If they are written down they can at least be refuted. So I currently assume that the growth of social graphs will: 1. Grow economies, as both producers and consumers of similar goods
    Posted to scottyokim (Weblog) by scottyokim on Sat, Feb 2 2008
Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next > | More Search Options