  • The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled…

    One of my all time favorite movies is, “The Usual Suspects.” There is a line in the movie were Kevin Spacey says, “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world that he didn’t exist.” I started thinking about this line after a discussion on government regulations. The state has pulled off some equally remarkable feats when it comes
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Mon, Mar 31 2008
  • Social Contract My Ass

    I hear people talking about a social contract all the time. Usually in the context of some authoritarian action by the government, instituted many times by the “will” of the majority (this is really a misnomer in itself, since the majority doesn’t participate in the process). I have referred to this previously as “the common good”, but the idea is really
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Fri, Mar 14 2008
  • Out of Texas...

    This is a little different than my usual blog posts. I just wanted to say, over the last month, I have officially escaped from Texas. It is good to be back at the Mountain (Albuquerque). I love this place. It has been 18 years since I have been here and I wonder why I ever left (I don't really wonder, it was a police escort). Albuquerque has always
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Wed, Feb 27 2008
  • Immigration - Again

    Sometimes I am accused of hammering this issue into the ground. That’s fine with me. It comes up a lot among the different factions of the libertarian movement and, to my mind, has become a good measure of where people stand on individual rights versus collective rights. There are a bunch of different views on why there might be a case for collective
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Sat, Jan 19 2008
  • The War On…

    The War on Drugs This one has been going on for a long time. I started with this one, not because of personal preferences of any kind, but because this is the basis for so much federal intervention into the everyday lives of the citizens and it is the one I am most familiar with. The model to enact federal drug laws is still in use today and is the
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Sun, Jan 13 2008
  • Pushing the Button

    Button, Button, Who’s Got the Button Everyone has probably seen the commercials for the office supply company were all the person has to do is push the “easy” button and all their problems are solved. Every time I see that commercial I think about what Rothbard said in “Toward a Theory of Strategy of Liberty” . He is talking about the classic liberal
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Fri, Dec 28 2007
  • Time to Bury The Dead

    Some people in the movement seem to want to hold on to the relics of the past as if their lives depend on it. I believe this is due to an inability to comprehensively come up with new approaches to age old problems. Of course, that is only a part of it. There is also the refusal to face the reality of the situation, as it is now and how it has been
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Fri, Dec 7 2007
  • The Damning Mentality of the American Right

    Give Peace a Chance It is funny that a word like “Peace” automatically brands you a commie loving democrat to so many people. The idea of “perpetual war” and always having an enemy to fight is so engrained on the American Right that the idea of peace is a foreign concept. The real American Idol (at least to the right-wingers), Ronald Reagan, is the
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Mon, Nov 26 2007
  • Supreme Court – Enemy of Freedom

    Judicial Activism The US Supreme Court is set to hear a case involving gun bans. The interesting thing about Supreme Court cases is that one side will say they screwed up, no matter what. The court is accused by one side of abusing their power, or legislating from the bench and praised by the other side for upholding either the constitution or the spirit
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Sun, Nov 25 2007
  • Big Government Libertarians?

    OK, this is kind of off topic for my usual posts, I admit it. But, I have noticed lots of Big Government Libertarians. That is an oxymoron, right? Well, any semi-intelligent person would think so; however it seems not to be the case lately. Because of recent (if you consider everything since Nixon recent) political trends, lots of people that would
    Posted to IrishOutlaw (Weblog) by IrishOutlaw on Wed, Nov 21 2007
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next > | More Search Options