  • Re: Quick Question

    [quote]Would this not count as real property under this line of thinking?[/quote] No, it would count as property of a sort, since it doesn't conflict with prior property as IP does. These don't restrict others' use of their own property, and don't require vast enforcement regimes. Nothing like IP.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Blargg on Thu, May 9 2013
  • Re: IRS Employees Outraged over Budget Cuts, Threaten Fewer Audits

    [quote]Demonstrators said each $1 invested in the tax collection agency brings in a $7 return[/quote] See, this is what your common burglar needs to do to improve his image. Put it in terms of how much he pays to rob a house (gasoline, mask, gloves) versus his return.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Blargg on Wed, May 8 2013
  • Re: What have Austrians been wrong about?

    I don't think you can predict what happens with the modern systems in place. For any problem, the constantly do crazy things to try to fix it. These often suppress the original problem, but create new problems later (which are then suppressed with more "fixes"). It's hard to predict the short-term outcome because the responses are
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Blargg on Tue, May 7 2013
  • Re: What Bitcoin is

    [quote]I tried to quote Blargg in post 223 here, but something technical failed.[/quote] Haha, this forum software is made of fail.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Blargg on Tue, May 7 2013
  • Re: Is science prediction?

    I see science as a particular approach to better determining what's "out there". It is a tool that we use to overcome our natural tendency to form beliefs and seek only to confirm them, similar to how mathematical proofs give confidence beyond what we could do through thinking alone. Science gives us a ratchet effect, solidly falsifying
    Posted to General (Forum) by Blargg on Tue, May 7 2013
  • Re: *** May 2013 Low Content Thread ***

    I'm still trying to get over how OpTiMuS shrunk the audio from 276MB down to 47MB. My mind is blown.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Blargg on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: What Bitcoin is

    [quote]Gold has a value even when it is not used as money by anyone. Bitcoin hasn't. Right? But neither has USD or EUR![/quote] Fiat currencies are all backed. No, they really are: they will always buy one temporary relief from the thugs that issue it.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Blargg on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: I need this thread unlocked

    And this assumes that we're just isolated computers walking around. What if there is a "cloud" that we tap into as well, where isolated we'd be like a modern cell phone without cell/data service? As for the manifestation of the cloud, there's an enormous of entropy in the positions and velocities of matter all around us, constantly
    Posted to General (Forum) by Blargg on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: I need this thread unlocked

    [quote]But you agree that it will eventually come a day where a machine will perform exactly the same things a human being can, only faster and better? I mean, the day they can create a computer powerful enough to emulate the human brain.[/quote] No, I was just going along with their scenario where we automate everything humans currently do. I don't
    Posted to General (Forum) by Blargg on Fri, May 3 2013
  • Re: The Myth of White Male Geek Rationality

    I found it an interesting approach to measuring it. Though I have to say, I didn't really get much from the results. I guess I am aware and have no problem with having preferences and biases at the low level they measure.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Blargg on Fri, May 3 2013
Page 1 of 23 (224 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options