  • Re: RIP Ronald Hamowy

    I have an autographed copy of Hamowy's take on the Canadian medical system, published by the Fraser Institute. My professor was originally his student at the University of Alberta. Hamowy was pretty bitter about being stuck up in Canada--because of the cold, you see :)
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by MrSchnapps on Mon, Sep 10 2012
  • Re: Obama Tells Entrepreneurs “You Didn’t Build” Your Business

    This reminds me of de Jasay's "Your dog owns your house," essay. Obligation already discharged, sir. Already discharged.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by MrSchnapps on Mon, Jul 16 2012
  • Re: What is property?

    [quote] Consider if I say: A exists B exists A = B So then A and B are the same thing: what what thing? Either A, or B, or something else.[/quote] Of course. But EMers deny A completely, so there is nothing for it to be identical with, in contrast to ITers. So there is a substantive difference. ITers think mental states really are real, since all mental
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MrSchnapps on Wed, Jul 11 2012
  • Re: What is property?

    Identity theory: Mental states really do exist. Propositional attitudes can be linked to certain brain states. EM: Mental states do not exist. They are completely illusory. Propositional attitudes cannot be linked to brain states. Apply Leibniz's law of the indiscernability of identicals. Ergo, identity theory is not equivalent to EM, since IT possesses
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MrSchnapps on Wed, Jul 11 2012
  • Re: What is property?

    [quote]That means no mind at all. Identity theory = pure eliminative materialism.[/quote] Identity theory is not eliminative materialism. Identity theory =df S is in mental state X if and only if S is in brain state Y. Eliminative materialism 'eliminates' discussion of folk psychology or mental states altogether and prefers we adopt some sort
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MrSchnapps on Wed, Jul 11 2012
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | More Search Options