  • Violence and the State

    I thought that members here would enjoy these two blog posts, one by Gene Callahan and a response by me, " The Violence of Pre-State Warfare ;" " Violence and the State ." I think you guys will find stuff to disagree with in both posts. I defend anarchism, but not by the usual route.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Sat, Jan 5 2013
  • Re: Walter Block makes $175k per year

    I'm willing to bet that a large chunk of that money is not from his salary as a professor. I'm sure Block is a full professor and so I'd put his salary in between $100,000 and 110,000. But, even this might be a lot, given the university he teaches at. The average professor makes somewhere between $70,000 and $100,000 (depending on type of
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Thu, Jan 3 2013
  • Re: Mises Believed in Theft

    Learning more about Ludwig, and I realized that the ancap notion that all taxation is theft (not disagreeing with it, mind you) is inconsistent with the minarchism of Mises. Two different approaches to morality; Mises was a utilitarian, Rothbard wasn't.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Sat, Dec 29 2012
  • Re: What are you reading?

    It's in Chapter 4, particulary the pages 209-253 Oh okay, I remember that. It's been a while since I've read the book. Some of that is straightfoward arithmetic, but I glazed over it the first time I read the book too. If you take an intermediate macro class you'll learn that stuff again (maybe not exactly the same). But no, it's
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Sun, Dec 23 2012
  • Re: What are you reading?

    Jonathan, in what book or articles can I find the best exposition of free-banking theory, in your opinion? Hands down, Selgin's <i>The Theory of Free Banking</i>.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Sun, Dec 23 2012
  • Re: What are you reading?

    I'm not at home, so I don't have a physical copy, but where is the math? I don't remember.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Sun, Dec 23 2012
  • Re: What are you reading?

    Regarding the first question, I have in mind specifically his criticism of free banking. Actually, when I was giving my lecture in Madrid (Huerta de Soto had spoken a couple of hours before me) on banking regulation someone in the audience asked me on Huerta de Soto's take on free banking, and I literally said that much of his criticism was a strawman
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Sun, Dec 23 2012
  • Re: What are you reading?

    My problem with Huerta de Soto's book is his grasp of opposing theory is limited, and some people consider his history dubious (I prefer not to pass judgment, since I really don't know). I think I'd rather point someone to a book like Man, Economy, and State . Edit: I think "Huerta de Soto" is his entire paternal last name. His
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Sun, Dec 23 2012
  • Re: What are you reading?

    Here is my review of Joseph Stiglitz' The Price of Inequality .
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Sat, Dec 22 2012
  • Re: I guess they're going in backwards alphabetic order

    I think that, maybe due to the recession, funding has been short. A year or two ago, even before J. Tucker left for LFB, they were cutting staff. There used to be more editors available for Mises Dailies, although I don't know how staffing has changed since then. But, Daniel Sanchez is responsible for a large swath of work on the website (including
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Jonathan M. F. Catalán on Thu, Dec 20 2012
Page 3 of 262 (2613 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options