  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    Sorry, James. I wasn't agreeing with you, but and earlier post. And nor was I playing. Why is it that these types of forums always become depositories for snyde remarks and sarcasm?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Sun, Aug 21 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    John: If my main argument is demonstrably false, as you say, please show me how. That is why I posted in the first place. I'd like to hear legitimate cirtiques of my argument. Unfortunately, I have not heard one yet. I undertsand your hosility and curtness, but I would appreciate a real answer. All I see is your question about my statement of all
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Sun, Aug 21 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    I agree. The system is in a shambles, largely because education cannot be systematized and standardized. People cannot be systematized and standardized. And it has been getting worse over time. Ask any veteran high school teacher and they will tell you. College professors say the same. Part of teh issue here, of course, is the lowering of standards
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Sun, Aug 21 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    John: Education is a competititve market. Not all would-be teachers get hired, and jobs at good schools are very competitive. Granted, teacher pay is not merit based, but that is true of any unionized field. As far as other jobs being "life," while teaching is not, again, my entire argument is that teaching is no different than any professional
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Sun, Aug 21 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    Sieben: I agree. I don't believe teachers ahve any special importance.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Sun, Aug 21 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    John: I undertsand your confusion. That was in fact my only point--that my position is no worse than theirs. It may seem strange, but this is comforting to me because in the past I have have struggled with feeling that my position as a teacher was more immoral and/or more avoidable than theirs. My new view is that the inflation of teachers salaries
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Sat, Aug 20 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    Sieben: I'm sorry. I don't follow you. It seems you are referring to the diamond/water paradox, but I don't see how that relates to my argument. There is a reason there is a shortage of teachers, even in private schools. Whether there are enough people in the world who "could" do the job (however you determine that) seems irrelevent
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Sat, Aug 20 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    I've rewritten to clarify: Hey folks: As a market anarchist, I abhor state involvement in education, but if I must be a teacher in a public high school (which I am), I of course would prefer that my salary not be too much inflated by market distortions caused by government involvement. And this concern has been a source of tension for me, despite
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Sat, Aug 20 2011
  • Re: How much is a teacher worth?

    Hey folks: As a teacher in a public high school, I have an interest in justifying my salary. I tend to think it is higher than a free market would allow, but I wonder if the very low private school teacher salary is a realistic indicator of a free market situation, or if the real going rate would would be somewhere in between. To simplify, let's
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by William Green on Fri, Aug 19 2011
  • Re: Theocrat Gary North: No ally of mine.

    I guess I don't value "respectability" much, and I think LRC makes for interesting reading. Take some of it with a grain of salt. But why does it appeal to libertarians and ancaps? It seems to me they are inclined to question authority, which LRC's articles on TEOTWAWKI, alt. medicines, alt. science, solar theories of climate, etc
    Posted to General (Forum) by William Green on Mon, Feb 28 2011
Page 1 of 8 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options