  • Re: What book is closest to anarchno-capitalism?

    Yes, BioShock's setting was supposed to be an anarcho capitalist experiment gone wrong. Whole thing felt like a parody of Ayn Rand. Evidently, the game's creator was exploring the theme of experimental perfect societies failing miserably. I suppose they chose anarcho-capitalism as the basis for this dystopia since whacko religious cults and
    Posted to General (Forum) by Dbsafc on Tue, Jul 14 2009
  • Re: Status of common property in anarcho-capitalism?

    You won't touch any of those books because you find their ideas unpleasant, but you'll lurk around here absorbing second-hand interpretations of the same stuff?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Dbsafc on Mon, Jun 22 2009
  • Re: Essentials of Economics by FAUSTINO BALLVE

    I read this off of a PDF file from Mises.org months ago. A fine intro text; I wish there were more Latin American Austrians out there.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Dbsafc on Tue, May 19 2009
  • Re: On the futility of gun rights

    I own several firearms and am big on individuals being armed to the teeth. I just wish so many of my gun-toting brethren weren't such "law-and-order", police/military-worshipping GOP hacks.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Dbsafc on Tue, May 12 2009
  • Re: Is the USA's military expenditure necessary for economic prosperity

    It's true that the military-industrial-complex employs a lot of people. But remember, all of that empire has to be paid for somehow. If it doesn't come from tax dollars, then it's from running horrible deficits and borrowing cash, or from printing money. Seen and the unseen, I think. The same principle applies to any benefits obtained from
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Dbsafc on Mon, May 11 2009
  • Re: Republicans Vs. Conservatives

    Savage is right to point out that genuine conservatives are a different breed from mainstream Republicans. However, that's about the only thing he is right about. I am more and more convinced that contemporary political labels have little, if anything, to do with the original terms. What is conservative to Savage? Why, whatever he likes. Whatever
    Posted to General (Forum) by Dbsafc on Thu, May 7 2009
  • Re: How did you come to subscribe to AE?

    In year two of college, I was researching a paper on non-interventionism, a topic selected purely on an impulse. I came across a piece by Laurence Vance on LRC. I checked the site, noticed an article by some yokel Congressman named Ron Paul, shook my head, and concluded that you were all bat shit insane. If I were to be honest with myself, I would compare
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Dbsafc on Sun, Apr 26 2009
  • Re: Argumentation Ethics

    “Hoppe simply asserts, but does not demonstrate, a logical contradiction. Being emphatic and repetitious is simply not enough. A slave-owner and his slave might conceivably engage in an intellectual discussion, even about the moral status of slavery itself, without either necessarily falling into self-contradiction. I hope it is not necessary
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Dbsafc on Thu, Apr 23 2009
  • Re: Argumentation Ethics

    I was thinking of starting a thread to ask a question on this very topic. I was reading the 50 th Anniversary Tribute to Human Action from Hillsdale College, and read through Leland Yeager’s article on Mises and utilitarianism. I found it to be a fascinating and challenging work for a novice such as me (though I think it has problems). He attacks
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Dbsafc on Wed, Apr 22 2009
  • Re: Tax tea parties

    From Don Cooper’s scathing review on LRC… “I watched closely all the tea parties all over the country Wednesday. What a showing of national pride and solidarity. What a showing of subservient compliance and casual indifference. What a joke. In Lafayette Park, Washington D.C., of all places to protest, the plan was to dump one million
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Dbsafc on Sun, Apr 19 2009
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | More Search Options