  • Re: Self Ownership and Animal Rights

    @Daniel Yeah tha'ts kind of my point. It seems that libertarian ethics lead me to have zero freedom to do anything. Who's the alien vampire now? If an ethical theory would condemn alien vampires from violating human rights, whats to stop it from condemning humans who violate animal rights?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Sieben on Wed, Oct 7 2009
  • Re: Self Ownership and Animal Rights

    @Juan This isn't a debate about human rights. It's about libertarian rights. Libertarian rights aren't formulated in human terms. Humans just happen to meet all the criteria. Our point is that animals also meet this criteria, in that they have a 'self' and act rationally with their own wants and needs. Yes it is reductio-ad-absurdum
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Sieben on Wed, Oct 7 2009
  • Re: Self Ownership and Animal Rights

    Sphairon gets it: "If you take the concept of self-ownership to its extreme logical conclusions, then yes, every animal has negative rights as well. But not only cows, chickens and pigs, but also bugs, amebae and gadflies. One can now dismiss this on utilitarian grounds, which would render the whole ethical theory of rights questionable, or reject
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Sieben on Wed, Oct 7 2009
  • Self Ownership and Animal Rights

    What do libertarians think about Animal Rights? Particularly cows pigs and chickens are treated just awfully in the status quo. There is already a discussion on animal rights, but it seems to avoid this question for the most part, assuming that animals are property. Wombatron writes: I'm not sure that the same principle applies. Human beings have
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Sieben on Wed, Oct 7 2009
Page 357 of 357 (3564 items) « First ... < Previous 353 354 355 356 357 | More Search Options