  • Re: 21 Year Old Shot in Display of Property Defense

    Well that's probably unknowable to some degree. How can we know how many break-ins would have occurred had the homeowners had less defense rights in their home? Even if we try to compare two different time periods, how do we control for other variables? In this instance I see no reason why homeowners shouldn't have a full suite of protections
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Thu, May 31 2012
  • Re: 21 Year Old Shot in Display of Property Defense

    Source for claim? Fair enough, personal anectdote. It comes from having lived with and befriended criminals. I have no data, so it's largely irrelevant. I have no idea. Does it matter? I think it does, since that's really the meat of the issue; does harsh punishment for crime deter crime? I dunno why don't we? Why might we look on one crime
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Wed, May 30 2012
  • Re: Foodstamps Help You Eat Right. . . .

    [quote user="Clayton"] [quote]In my opinion you are discounting the amount of bartering that goes on with food stamps. They are really a currency of their own in low income neighborhoods, usually worth 50c to the dollar. I have some extra food stamps and I need some cigs/weed/cds/gas etc etc etc... I trade you my food stamps for cash. This
    Posted to General (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Wed, May 30 2012
  • Re: 21 Year Old Shot in Display of Property Defense

    Criminals are rational just like everyone else. Not everyone who considers a life of crime will find the risk to be worth the reward. I sure as hell don't. The goal then is to make crime so risky that the potential pay-off is far outweighed by the potential risk for most people who might consider crime as a "part-time job" over a legitimate

    [quote user="Clayton"] @mikachussetts: See my prior post - the conclusion holds ceteris paribus and, yes, the conditions are qualified in the actual fact but in a way that makes my case stronger, not weaker. The effects of food stamps on the overall budget is dependent on the recipient's schedule of wants, of course, but because they are
    Posted to General (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Wed, May 30 2012
  • Re: 21 Year Old Shot in Display of Property Defense

    Having a shoot first, ask questions later policy will really just incentivize criminals to hold the same policy. Criminals aren't criminals for no reason, they are criminals because it appears to be part-time work with a chance at high pay-off. (Off topic, but we could probably get rid of a lot of petty crime just by having a minimum living wage
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Wed, May 30 2012
  • Re: Marxism and the workers

    Asking someone to source thier claims is not a statement of disagreement, pure and simple. This is getting outright ridiculous.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Fri, May 11 2012
  • Re: Marxism and the workers

    It seemed like you were referring to a nationwide economic overproduction, and not the profit and loss motive Worldwide capitalist economies are based on the profit and loss motive, which is the cause of overproduction. Again, ABCT doesn't state that recessions will end if we get rid of central banks and/or FRB. It states that central banks and
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Fri, May 11 2012
  • Re: Marxism and the workers

    Are you saying that there was never a time before law I'm not the one who made this claim, and the onus is not upon me to provide evidence for it. I don't care how obvious you think it sounds. Do you think it would make in a serious scholarly journal if you provided an article with 4 sources? Are you saying that it is false that "[i] f
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Fri, May 11 2012
  • Re: Marxism and the workers

    You would think when someone says "my limited knowledge tells me" that they are admitting that they don't know fully, ie it is implied that I am NOT making a categorical statement, rather a statement of doubt. I'm sorry you don't understand context. Not to mention that I brought up sourcing and verification in regards to his entire
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Laotzu del Zinn on Fri, May 11 2012
Page 2 of 190 (1896 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options