  • Voluntary Taxes? Give me a break.

    I have to let off some steam: A guy on sports message board that I frequent explains that sales tax are voluntary. His argument is that you must choose to purchase goods/services, and if you do then you agree to the sales tax. Therefore it is a voluntary tax. My reply: This is a ridiculous statement. All taxes are coercive by their very nature. If businesses
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by fourthand1 on Fri, Feb 11 2011
  • Re: High Prices of Drugs

    I'm no expert, but seems like simple supply and demand. Rich people aren't the only ones looking to buy stuff. As an example, Henry Ford did not get rich selling his cars only to the wealthy elite. He got rich selling cars that everyone could afford.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fourthand1 on Fri, Jan 28 2011
  • Re: What's your age and and income/job?

    I'm 30 and I'm a computer engineer. I'm looking for a way to break out of the statistical average. I know I'm much smarter than all but one or two of my peers but on paper I'm just a bachelor's + 5 years experience. Within the company, the only way to break out of the bell curve is to kiss ass and go into management. But that's
    Posted to General (Forum) by fourthand1 on Mon, Aug 30 2010
  • Re: What's the real story behind the Meat Inspection Act?

    Good info, Gero. That's what I'm looking for. I know this falls right into Tom Woods's court, I just wasn't sure if he had written about it and where to find it.
    Posted to History (Forum) by fourthand1 on Fri, Aug 27 2010
  • What's the real story behind the Meat Inspection Act?

    Everyone heard the same tale in high school history class: the meat-packing industry took advantage of poor people by selling them phony meat products because they only care about profit. Convential wisdom holds that Uptain Sinclair's book The Jungle exposed the meat-packing industry and caused a public uproar which led to the Pure Food and Drug
    Posted to History (Forum) by fourthand1 on Thu, Aug 26 2010
  • Re: How many of you have a blog?

    That is really all I would accomplish: having a virtual stress ball. For now I will stick to the Facebook because of the sheer number of Facebook users that check their accounts around the clock.
    Posted to General (Forum) by fourthand1 on Tue, Aug 24 2010
  • Re: Need help with the idea of privitized courts

    So all I need to do is hit the gym for a few months, increase my bench press and squat, and then I'm safe to commit petty crimes? How does the market overcome this?
    Posted to General (Forum) by fourthand1 on Fri, Aug 20 2010
  • Re: Need help with the idea of privitized courts

    Only public courts can be rigged with bribes and payoffs. Private courts are voluntary, therefore, both parties are only there because they actually intend to find a resolution to their dispute, in the first place. Clayton - OK, it makes sense now. You can take me to court to settle a dispute, but not coercively-- I have to agree, and obviously I won't
    Posted to General (Forum) by fourthand1 on Fri, Aug 20 2010
  • Re: Need help with the idea of privitized courts

    Public courts are also rigged, but private courts (they already exist as private arbitration companies) must always face the possibility of the loss of revenue and profit when consumers inevitably find out about corruption. As in all other markets, competition is the best regulator. Right, but suppose there is a dispute between Joe and Jack. Joe wishes
    Posted to General (Forum) by fourthand1 on Fri, Aug 20 2010
  • Need help with the idea of privitized courts

    I'm having a hard time understanding this one. Seems like the court system would be rigged by payoffs and bribes. What am I missing here?
    Posted to General (Forum) by fourthand1 on Fri, Aug 20 2010
Page 1 of 5 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | More Search Options