  • Re: Why Anarchy Fails

    I'm working from a smartphone these days, but anything I post may be freely reposted anywhere with or without attribution and without permission. The same goes for any edited or derivative works, etc.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Bohm-Bawerk committed suicide?

    Maybe Mises, still learning English at the time, meant Bohm-Bawerk committed "career suicide" (by supporting Menger) and Rothbard misunderstood his intent.
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    Oops, I accidentally hit "suggest as answer." There are some answers here, though. [quote user="Anenome"] The inertia one still throws me and seems to have some logical failures. Like if moving faster can actually slow your rate of time passage compared to a non-moving thing, like the planet, how does the universe know that you're
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    [quote user="thetabularasa"] G.E. Moore had a similar argument , saying that since we cannot define things without further definitions that communication is impossible unless the premises in discussion have been experienced. For instance, yellow is impossible to explain to a blind person. [/quote] It's similar, but here the issue is not
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    Forget perceive, we can't even *imagine* four spacial dimensions. One must at this point stop and ask the physicist what activity he or she is actually engaged in in uttering those words. "Mr. Physicist, I was under the impression that these words you're saying are an attempt to get some idea you have in YOUR head into MY head. You know
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Free Will and Libertarianism.

    I don't grok the sentence structure there. It begins but it doesn't? And what is causality exactly? Also, need to define "predetermined" if we'll use it.
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Free Will and Libertarianism.

    Physiocrat, knowledge of what "really is" means nothing to an agent at any given time until it is interpreted into a signal to act - that is, interpreted as a relevant guide for your actions. You will interpret the very same knowledge into different signals to act, at different times in your life (or your day). For example, the knowledge that
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Free Will and Libertarianism.

    Well it sounds like you're saying that you care about non-pragmatic points, but I can't make sense of those words. To me, "I care about issue X" and "X is a pragmatic issue (to me)" are synonyms. Please clarify.
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Free Will and Libertarianism.

    Physiocrat, all agents have the ability to choose, by definition of the word "agent." The question is whether there are really any other agents besides me (or from your perspective, besides you). No actually, the only question that matters for me (or for you*) is whether it is useful to view others as agents (useful to view others as having
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Free Will and Libertarianism.

    [quote user="z1235"]According to what I think is the most useful definition of "exist", if X is useful for navigating (surviving in) your environment, then X exists.[/quote]In that vein, I can find in my mental experience only three modes of (nonverbal) thinking: modeling phenomena in terms of mechanical object-on-object interactions
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
Page 6 of 253 (2524 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options