  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    TR, that's essentially spot on. I'd just be sure to distinguish between spacial dimensions and the more general concept of a dimension (temperature, brightness, etc.). Time (actually timing) is an action requiring an agent to do the comparing, and further this agent must have a memory to discern "before" and "after."
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    The relativity theorists are very confused indeed. They say that one clock based on unvarying periodic phenomena ran slower, but they cannot possibly visualize this without selecting a reference frame in so doing, thereby privileging one frame. Either that or they visualize the situation from a god-like absolute vantage point, but then they could see
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Free Will and Libertarianism.

    Physiocrat, the ability for who to choose? One's own perspective must be handled differently from those of any "other agents"; if we ignore the difference and just speak of "we" it can only lead to confusion. From my perspective I certainly have the ability to make choices. By this definition I definitely have free will (and
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Free Will and Libertarianism.

    Define "free will" and you'll know whether or not you have it.
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Thu, Nov 29 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    [quote user="thetabularasa"] [quote user="hashem"] Ok so I was watching some videos on special relativity and time, both supporting and opposed to it. I'm not an expert by any standard, but it seems at a bare minimum there's a definition game problem. It seems to be conflating perception of light with whatever definition
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Thu, Nov 29 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    Doing well, TR. Time is just a measure of change (i.e., motion). Paradox is the hallmark of an incoherent theory. Clear definitions and modern physics are like oil and water.
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Thu, Nov 29 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    Define "time" and you'll know whether it can dilate.
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Wed, Nov 28 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    OP is correct. All conceptions of time boil down to a comparison of two distances. The distance between two locations of a clock hand compared with the distance between two locations of a car on a racetrack; the distance between two locations of the constituents of a cesium atom in an atomic clock compared with the distance between two locations of
    Posted to History (Forum) by AJ on Wed, Nov 28 2012
  • Re: Holiday Dinner Table Political Discussion

    Clayton, I agree on the fraction. Either way it's visualizable. As just a formal fraction it is even easier to visualize, so I didn't mention that above. As for four dimensions, I should be careful to specify that I'm talking only about the notion of four spacial dimensions in a physical sense.
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Wed, Nov 28 2012
  • Re: Holiday Dinner Table Political Discussion

    Z, to say "constrained" to a 3D realm already seems to imply higher dimensions. If "higher dimensions" is a nonsense term, this would not be a constraint, practically speaking. I'll define "visualize" and "exist" below, for use whenever needed. However, prior to that, I have no grounds for interpreting what
    Posted to General (Forum) by AJ on Wed, Nov 28 2012
Page 7 of 253 (2524 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options