  • Re: Global warming-man-made or not?

    fsk, your post has a lot of good points. I think note of clarification should be that Antarctica used to be warmer because it was physically further north and in a more temperate region long ago, not necessarily that the south pole was warm enough to support plant life. You make a great observation about the long-term nature of multiple local and astronomical
    Posted to General (Forum) by Orthogonal on Mon, Aug 24 2009
  • Re: Externalities

    [quote user="Jane McCloskey"]And that, as they say, is where I stopped reading. Wake up guys. There is reason most economists and moral philosphers disagree with you. Have a nice day.[/quote] In the context of the debate, I think Jon was referring to the fact that GDP is an empty figure when referring to those being enslaved. Reading further
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Orthogonal on Sun, Aug 16 2009
  • Re: Are we in a recovery?

    We must distinguish between a nominal recovery and a real recovery. The Fed's money printing activities may certainly spur more consumption and "demand" leading to increased corporate earnings, but it is an illusory growth from money supply inflation. Economic cheerleader's will quickly point to anything that shows and uptick as recovery
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Orthogonal on Wed, Aug 12 2009
  • Re: Ideological "evolution" among libertarians

    Apolitical (Teens) -> Neo-Con (Sept 11 2001 - 2007) -> Strict US Constituionalist mostly from Ron Paul. (2008-2009) -> Minarchist and flirting with ancap, thanks to Mises.org (Present). I still have a lot of reading to do but I'm becoming more and more convinced every day that the state is unnecessary, I just have yet to fully reconcile
    Posted to General (Forum) by Orthogonal on Sat, Aug 8 2009
  • Re: Children's rights

    Doesn't the application of Natural Law/Rights clear up all the ambiguation here? It seems to certainly close any perceived holes with extenuating circumstances (i.e. impairment, mental retardation and children).
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Orthogonal on Wed, Aug 5 2009
  • Re: Children's rights

    [quote user="Spideynw"]The younger the human being, the less capable of granting or withholding consent. So they actually start out with no rights. No wrong has been committed unless a being has the ability to grant or withhold consent, and then withholds consent. Parents should be able to legally torture their children. However, there are
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Orthogonal on Mon, Aug 3 2009
  • Re: Would you work at a business that manufactured military weapons?

    Back to the OP. I guess the question boils down to how far do you have to remove yourself from directly enabling the state to not be/feel culpable for state violence. If you want to play "six degrees to Kevin Bacon" or reductio ad absurdum then pretty much any industry will be enabling the state. Clearly, working for a weapon's manufacturer
    Posted to General (Forum) by Orthogonal on Tue, Jul 28 2009
  • Re: Where are the deductive proofs?

    [quote user="Solomon"] Anyway, the idea of a mathematical deduction, as opposed to any other sort of deduction, is that it is independent of however one might intuit its premises; this is precisely what makes it characteristically mathematical. On the other hand, the arguments in praxeology up to now rely almost exclusively on one's intuition
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Orthogonal on Thu, Jul 16 2009
  • Hello from a new AE convert

    Greetings, I'm still new to this, but I've been following the daily articles on this site for the past year or so and have begun reading a lot. I've finished Meldown, The Case Against the Fed and Hazlitt's excellent Economics in One Lesson. I started Rothbard's MESPM and am about 100 pages in. It has been a long and slow process
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by Orthogonal on Wed, Jun 24 2009
Page 14 of 14 (139 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 | More Search Options