  • Re: Democracy vs. capitalism: a question

    Marko, interesting post and I agree with your first paragraph. The decision as to who gets a vote in democracy seems rather arbitrary. Many unecessary wars have been waged over which land/persons belong to which political community. Still, I'm not sure that this complication about defining the boundaries of political communities changes the fundamental
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Tue, Apr 3 2012
  • Re: Democracy vs. capitalism: a question

    Gman1944, I didn't say anything about forcing a Wal-Mart to close its doors. Also, I'm not sure you've added anything by putting the phrase "their property" in italics. Why is it their property? Does nature grant them the right to "own" and exclusively dispose of their property? Or do people acquire/accumulate property
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Tue, Apr 3 2012
  • Re: Democracy vs. capitalism: a question

    "Yes. Because "democratic rights" is a made-up concept. It implies the existence of an abstract entity, town or country, whos residents somehow own that area of earth and get get to tell other people how to live or whether they may enter. These decisions need to be enforced, meaning that somebody has to initiate force against nonviolent
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Tue, Apr 3 2012
  • Democracy vs. capitalism: a question

    Quick hypothetical situation: Let's say Wal-Mart wants to open up in a small town with a historic old town. Many residents feel the character of the place would be altered in a negative way by Wal-Mart, and that the jobs created would not be, quote, "good jobs". So some people raise their concerns to the point where the town puts it to
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Tue, Apr 3 2012
  • Re: And so it begins... "S&P Downgrades US Savings Bond Rating"

    the sky is falling! the sky is falling!
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Sun, Aug 7 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    And libertarians wonder why even other libertarians don't like talking to them. Be opinionated as you like but stop insulting each other. Geez. Yep. Libertarians are very annoying. I'd like to say that the OP is a particularly annoying one, but actually, he's a fairly typical example.
    Posted to General (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Sun, Aug 7 2011
  • Re: Ron Paul's Pacifism

    I am a left-of-center guy, but I'd ally with Ron Paul on foreign policy so fast it'd make your head spin. He's one of the only people I know of in the federal government who has a record of *consistent* opposition to U.S. interventionism and playing World Cop. When I saw him in a presidential debate talking about how Iranian 'aggression'
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Tue, Mar 1 2011
  • Re: Stopping corporatism in America

    Start here: http://www.conservativenannystate.org/ Policy Recommendations :D
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Wed, Dec 1 2010
  • Re: Anyone want to weigh in on the recent Korean attack?

    Are you more upset that not everyone is jumping to call out fleetcenturion on his call for war on north korea? Lol, I'm not upset. I don't care if libertarians want to discredit themselves by letting someone share their label and argue for more wars; I'm not a libertarian, so I could not care less about the label. Personally, I already think
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Wed, Dec 1 2010
  • Re: Anyone want to weigh in on the recent Korean attack?

    how can anyone stop someone else from claiming to be libertarian or anything else? It is really not that hard. If libertarians were as anti-war as they are anti-tax and anti-welfare and anti-entitlements, then no pro-war person would still be posting on this site. Because they'd realize they are out of place. An atheist doesn't go to church
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by JimmyJazz on Wed, Dec 1 2010
Page 4 of 11 (103 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options