  • Re: question for Europeans reg. tax rates

    Or not as painful would be the State Rate tax. Are you saying that the state rate tax would be "not as painful", or are you saying "Or not as painful (as) would be the state rate tax"?
    Posted to General (Forum) by AF on Tue, Jul 19 2011
  • Re: Ron Paul and Amnesty

    Personally I don't think that the "if we let more people in it would burden the welfare system" argument holds. We could cut the welfare state if we banned the poor from reproducing, and I'm sure there's any number of proposals out there that could theoretically cut welfare costs by infringing upon freedom.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by AF on Sat, Jul 16 2011
  • Re: Tax exemptions

    Generally speaking, reductions in tax and regulation are a good thing. However, for any given level of tax, it's pretty widely recognised that the lower the rate and the broader the base the less harmful distortion it causes. Cutting taxes on only some parts of the economy might be acceptable in the unrealistic example that it is a stand-alone policy
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by AF on Sat, Jul 9 2011
  • Re: Hacking as a First Amendment Right

    I don't really think the "it's not breaking in because the owner wrote the program in a way that allowed the hacker access" argument holds. If I build a faulty security system for my house or if I unintentionally leave my door unlocked, gaining access to my house is still trespassing.
    Posted to General (Forum) by AF on Mon, Jul 4 2011
  • Re: Do military bases bring prosperity to surrounding towns?

    Taking into account opportunity costs, military bases won't make society as a whole better off, but it's quite plausable and indeed highly likely that the area immediately around a military base would see increased prosperity at the expense of the general taxpaying population.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by AF on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Re: Austrian view on

    Dutch disease is a complete non-issue. What it really refers to is the process of more productive sectors (Australian mining) bidding resources away from less productive sectors (Australian manufacturing). Creative destruction etc. This isn't a bad thing, and the government can only harm prosperity by taxing productive sectors to subsidise less
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by AF on Wed, Jun 8 2011
  • Re: Anybody want to deny that NATO murders children?

    Whatever your views on the intervention, I think it's hard to spin this as "murder". Imagine shooting someone who has tried to mug you, only to find out that they were carrying a baby in their jacket which you shot. Are you a murderer, or is the blame on the person who initiated violence and then put an infant in danger whilst doing so
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by AF on Mon, May 2 2011
  • Re: Anarcho-Capitalist Law and Order

    ´╗┐Being able to pay your way out of a sentence makes for a shaky legal system. How so? Isn't the whole point of justice that the victim is compensated?
    Posted to General (Forum) by AF on Thu, Aug 5 2010
  • Re: I've been toying around with the idea of constitutional anarchism.

    People have attempted to limit government before. Didn't really hold back the US federal government, did it?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by AF on Tue, Jun 8 2010
  • Re: In case there was any doubt: Israel's story full of holes

    [quote] Normally Israel flops big time, but this was one of the rare non-flops. Assuming away the fact that Israel is a state (just for the argument), and hence that its every action is illegitimate, ‘it’ has every right to stop things form going on on its territory, hence to impose embargoes on whatever country it likes, search whichever
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by AF on Sun, Jun 6 2010
Page 1 of 7 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ┬╗ | More Search Options