  • Re: Mises Institute mention

    Associating Mises with Reason? That's almost as good as the clowns who try and claim Ron Paul is a Koch puppet. I'm also reasonably sure that claiming DiLorenzo is a current member of the League of the South is libel of some variety. It reads like a combination between LaRouche and his nutty theories about the Queen of England crossed with some
    Posted to General (Forum) by Praetyre on Sun, Nov 6 2011
  • Re: When are we going to stop citing RJ Rummel?

    Firstly, I'm not an anarcho-capitalist, though I do have sympathies for Hoppe's theories of monarchy vis a vis mass democracy. Secondly, I do not consider Freedom House a reliable source on how "free" a country is. Aside from their obvious neoconservative bent, they hold double standards for "democratic" regimes (especially
    Posted to History (Forum) by Praetyre on Sat, Nov 5 2011
  • Re: When are we going to stop citing RJ Rummel?

    Democratic peace theory is that democracies don't go to wear with each other . Of course, when you point out historical examples of such (Athens, India, the UK, France), they shift the goalposts and No True Scotsman you until all they're left with is "modern Western multiculturalist democracies have not engaged in major conflict with each
    Posted to History (Forum) by Praetyre on Sat, Nov 5 2011
  • Re: When are we going to stop citing RJ Rummel?

    The chief thing I see in these countries isn't that they are "democratic" (many of them have political systems that barely resemble each other. Constitutional monarchy versus weak executive versus strong executive, the electoral college versus first past the post versus mixed member proportional representation, federal systems versus centralized
    Posted to History (Forum) by Praetyre on Fri, Nov 4 2011
  • Re: When are we going to stop citing RJ Rummel?

    My only real issue with Rummel is his cranky "Democratic Peace Theory" nonsense. He comes across as a weird sort of neoconservative with leftist-humanitarian leanings (which makes sense, given neocons are the redheaded stepchildren of Trotskyites and Lovestonites) who I see getting cited as a libertarian writer.
    Posted to History (Forum) by Praetyre on Wed, Nov 2 2011
  • re: Worst political ad: Creepy Herman Cain smoking/grin

    I can't be the only who sees the resemblance between grin-shot and this:
    Posted to General (Forum) by Praetyre on Sat, Oct 29 2011
  • Re: Wouldn't it be better to let the state fail on its own?

    To play devil's advocate here (I'm honestly unsure personally), why the GOP? Why not attract disillusioned Democrats on war (both drug, Iraq and Afghanistan), civil liberties and Kevin Carson/Roderick Long's ideas? I'll bet some of the Old Left could even be swayed by Keith Preston. Is it because the Republicans are out of Presidential
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Praetyre on Thu, Oct 27 2011
  • Re: A rant on the very anti-Ron Paul FreeThoughtPedia

    [quote user="Eric080"] I just think relying on anecdotal evidence should be good enough. Do evangelical groups typically pine for more regulation because of the evils of freedom and more welfare because the poor can't make it on a free market? No. [/quote] http://www.sojo.net/
    Posted to General (Forum) by Praetyre on Mon, Oct 24 2011
  • Re: A rant on the very anti-Ron Paul FreeThoughtPedia

    Sounds almost exactly like "Rational"Wiki's take. Couldn't agree with you more on the hypocrisy of the "freethinkers" (anyone else get an Orwell vibe from the combinatory nature of that word and it's usage opposite to what it implies, rigid adherence to a dogmatic movement), and a lot of them just seem like whiny Boomers
    Posted to General (Forum) by Praetyre on Sun, Oct 23 2011
  • Re: Was invading Nazi Germany to stop genocide justified?

    The fundamental question doesn't change if Bert is correct, so it's a moot point. Also, it is well documented that the US, at the very least, knew about the existence of the death camps and of the train networks used to supply them, which they could have but didn't bomb. There were previous cases of refugees from Nazi Germany telling of
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Praetyre on Sat, Oct 22 2011
Page 5 of 55 (547 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options