  • Re: Whom is the government aggressing against when it collects income taxes via my employer?

    This question assumes your tax is withheld, which was not always the case and, I believe, you can opt out of when you're hired. Otherwise, come April, you write a check to the IRS for the income tax they say you owe them. And this is obviously the case if you're self-employed. But then there is FICA, which is withheld from an employee's
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Michael J Green on Thu, Mar 14 2013
  • Re: It's Not Government. It's Not Capitalism.

    [quote] In fact, having gone global, having spread exploitation, sweatshops, debt, and financial crises across the entire planet; having produced a plutocracy that now rules most of humanity and makes a hollow fraud of democracy; and having incurred worldwide climatic consequences that will eventually destruct our so-called civilization and return a
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Michael J Green on Sat, Mar 2 2013
  • Re: The Concept of "Earning" is a Big Lie.

    [quote] The result, the result of group selection and phenotypic plasticity operating over a hundred and fifty thousand years of hunter-gatherers actually living the ethos of "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need", is that our basic social phenotype and makeup is such as to make us fitter for an egalitarian-communalist
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Michael J Green on Sat, Mar 2 2013
  • Re: The Concept of "Earning" is a Big Lie.

    [quote] Well, for one thing, if society could insist on full, universal employment for all able-bodied members, being a lounge-about leech would not be permitted.[/quote] And there it is. Also, yes, our prehistoric predecessors may have had success with a more communal system of rules. But success for them was merely surviving and procreating, and they
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Michael J Green on Fri, Mar 1 2013
  • Re: Stirnerite in a movie

    Gross was played by Vincent Cassel in the movie, who pretty much always steals the scenes he's in. I don't recall if Gross's influences are mentioned - perhaps Stirner was name-checked, and I missed it - but he's mostly portrayed as a gluttonous libertine.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Michael J Green on Tue, Jan 29 2013
  • Re: Entertainment for Libertarians

    Larry David's concern with social conventions is really interesting to me. Both Seinfeld and Curb are great at making people think about undesigned and voluntarily practiced customs. But some obvious shows for libertarians: Homeland (helmed by the creators of 24, but much, much more ambiguous than that show) Firefly , and its feature film Serenity
    Posted to General (Forum) by Michael J Green on Sat, Nov 24 2012
  • Re: Low Content Rant thread

    This time last year, I got into it with several people over Occupy Wall Street, largely trying to make inroads and push back on some of the more vacuous rhetoric. They all railed against the status quo. Now, almost all of them praise the affirmation of the status quo. These damn people... It's one thing to vote for Obama and/or think he's preferable
    Posted to General (Forum) by Michael J Green on Thu, Nov 8 2012
  • Re: Official election stuff thread: Because tomorrow is in the future

    Thaddeus Russel voted like a boss:
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Michael J Green on Tue, Nov 6 2012
  • Re: Official election stuff thread: Because tomorrow is in the future

    I want fireworks. Best scenario is 269 vs 269. Man that would be hilarious to watch. Runner-up is Romney wins popular vote, Obama the EVs. But frankly, I want Obama to lose just to see the meltdown.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Michael J Green on Tue, Nov 6 2012
  • Election day reading/viewing

    What are some essential reading or viewing for election day, to reflect upon the absurdity of representative democracy and the electoral process? For instance, tomorrow I will be rereading: The Sins of Legislators - Herbert Spencer, essay 3 of his The Man versus the State No Treason - Lysander Spooner, with the link anchored to a relevant paragraph
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Michael J Green on Tue, Nov 6 2012
Page 1 of 55 (546 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options