  • Re: Can you help me find "No Vacancies", an article about the ghoulish consequences of France's post-WW2 rent control?

    [quote user="Knight_of_BAAWA"] http://tinyurl.com/ohvhne [/quote] The url gives us a Google Book sample. Some pages of Jouvenel's essay are missing from the sample. Anyone still interested in a complete copy of "No Vacancies" can get it in the FEE volume Essays on Liberty, Volume 1 . That's a table of contents page. There's
    Posted to General (Forum) by twelveguage on Thu, Nov 12 2009
  • Re: Solutions to gold standard transition

    [quote user="yonoid"]But isn't this the bi-metallism that Austrians look down on that was abused in the 19th century? Or is there a difference?[/quote] Bimetallism refers specifically to a regime in which the exchange ratio of gold and silver are fixed by government fiat. Austrian School monetary writers have been justly hard on this scheme
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by twelveguage on Wed, Nov 11 2009
  • Re: gold confiscation of '33

    [quote user="Stolz25"]They were at the current set ratio of dollars to gold. Shortly thereafter the ratio was nearly doubled, effectively stealing half of everyone's gold wealth. I can't figure out how they did that without a revolt....[/quote] Remember, the governing classes had been successfully encouraging the use of paper money
    Posted to History (Forum) by twelveguage on Thu, Oct 29 2009
  • Re: gold confiscation of '33

    According to Wikipedia , the compensation was $20.67 per troy ounce of gold. The text of the order reads: Section 4. Upon receipt of gold coin, gold bullion or gold certificates delivered to it in accordance with Sections 2 or 3, the Federal Reserve Bank or member bank will pay therefor an equivalent amount of any other form of coin or currency coined
    Posted to History (Forum) by twelveguage on Thu, Oct 29 2009
  • Re: Hello Mises Community

    [quote user="Conza88"]How long are you guys waiting for?[/quote] When I get the mega-wait, it's like one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, one-thousand-three, one-thousand-four, and page loads, or still one-thousand-five even, before the page loads. This happens to me under half the times I click a forum link, but close to it. Very annoying
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by twelveguage on Thu, Oct 15 2009
  • Re: Newbie

    [quote user="Auntie State"]Does anyone have advice for reading material?[/quote] David Gordon wrote an introduction to Austrian Economics for high-school students: An Introduction to Economic Reasoning . It's only $10 in the Mises Store. There's a free PDF in the Literature section of the LvMI site if you'd like to have a look
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by twelveguage on Thu, Oct 15 2009
  • Re: Hello Mises Community

    Hello LFOD, and welcome. [quote user="Live_Free_Or_Die"]On a side note this server does seem annoyingly slow at times when I am surfing the site.[/quote] God I'm glad you mentioned this. Clicking on any link in this forum is usually painfully slow. I mean, I see the DSL light flicker on my modem as the door-knocking request goes to the
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by twelveguage on Thu, Oct 15 2009
  • Re: Human Action Comics by Lilburne

    [quote user="Justin"]I do not however think this is in the scope that would be teachable to high school students and the like.[/quote] It depends greatly upon the high school student's talent and inclinations. And what sort of schooling the student has had. There are some "high schools" here in Chicago that could barely be considered
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by twelveguage on Wed, Oct 14 2009
  • Re: gold sales records

    [quote user="jeff fogel"]When you purchase or sell gold in the form of bullion coin, can the government obtain a record of this purchase?[/quote] I believe that sometime during the 90s, precious metal dealers were dragged into the reporting requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act . I've seen pieces like this one from January of 2004, bitching
    Posted to General (Forum) by twelveguage on Wed, Oct 14 2009
  • Re: Human Action Comics by Lilburne

    [quote user="Lilburne"]Introducing... Issue #1: The Basics Until I figure out something better, I'm publishing these as Google Picassa album. Feedback appreciated as always.[/quote] HA Comics Issue 1: The Basics, p. 14. The top reads: "Behavior is purposeful if it has an end (a goals or aim)." This should read "a goal"
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by twelveguage on Tue, Oct 13 2009
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | More Search Options