  • How empty is glory!

    We all know politicians are obsessed with themselves. They want their spot in history. They want glory. They want greatness. But we know the real effect they have on civilization, and it is entirely destructive. And in fact, it's usually true that the more glory they earn, the more destructive they've been. For some stupid reason this makes
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mike on Mon, Feb 22 2010
  • Re: Wars/battles/conflicts and foreign interventions libertarians should reject.

    Um, just about all of them ever? That's probably not entirely fair. Spontaneously organized defense is passable.
    Posted to History (Forum) by Mike on Sun, Feb 21 2010
  • Re: What is he talking about? Glenn Beck groups Nazis, Fascists and Anarchists together

    As far as Fox neocon talking heads go, Beck is one of the better ones. I watch him because my family does, and within the past month there were at least two episodes where he devoted a segment to the 9th and 10th Amendments. Constitutional government doesn't mean much to a libertarian, but if he's going to teach the masses about something they've
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mike on Sun, Feb 21 2010
  • Carl Jung on politics

    Anybody here a fan of the psychologist Carl Jung? I am, and even more so now after discovering this in the "Political views" section of his Wikipedia page: [quote user="Wikipedia"] "Giving laws, wanting improvements, making things easier, has all become wrong and evil. May each one seek out his own way, the way leads to mutual
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mike on Wed, Feb 10 2010
  • Re: Native Americans and property

    Well, it depends. A lot of Native American tribes were nomadic, and it's understandable that a nomadic society would have no concept of land as property.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mike on Tue, Feb 9 2010
  • Re: Austrianism and Eschatology

    Also, this is an interesting (but long) read. It presents a case that Jesus was an anarcho-capitalist: http://www.anti-state.com/redford/redford4.html
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Mike on Sun, Feb 7 2010
  • Austrianism and Eschatology

    I'm wondering what Austrians here who are Christians (or Muslims for that matter) think of the idea that the end times are near. End times theology seems to be in vogue these days, and Austrian economics does seem to predict a coming "tribulation" of sorts.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Mike on Sat, Feb 6 2010
  • Re: Does Liberty Protect the Decision to Discriminate?

    [quote user="Goddard Elliott Lewko"] but she is ultimately unimpressed by the potential suffering of racists or sexists [/quote] This could lead to a crucial value difference. Value differences, when not uncovered, tend to make debates drag on pointlessly, and when uncovered, cause them to come to a screeching halt. You might ask her to define
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mike on Mon, Feb 1 2010
  • Re: Love/hate relationship between catholics and capitalism?

    I've only read the first few posts of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been stated. As a Catholic (culturally anyway, belief-wise I am an atheist), I think the reason there are many libertarians in Catholicism is pretty simple: Catholics emphasize free will, conscience, responsibility. No excuses. You reap what you sow. Whether you
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mike on Sun, Jan 31 2010
  • Re: The Law of Life

    Seems to me all it's saying is that since nobody alive has committed suicide, they value whatever it is they're doing over death. Which is praxeologically true. I don't see what's the big deal about it, though.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mike on Sat, Jan 30 2010
Page 4 of 6 (60 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | More Search Options