  • Re: Voluntaryist Reader: The blog you've been missing!

    Super blog. Just looked it up. In my bookmarks it goes. Good writing everyone who contributes there. Maybe I should just sign up to contibute on that blog, too, which seems well designed, actually. For instance, I'm presenting at the Austrian Student Scholar's Coference in February, so I might post a short write up on some themes touched, which
    Posted to General (Forum) by thelion on Wed, Jan 2 2013
  • Re: Voluntaryist Reader: Is High-Frequency Trading Detrimental to Markets?

    z1235's article seems nice. I like it. Nice blog! My father used to do this for a while but it wasn't making enough money to be worth it, and computers were slower back then. My tip: you need alot of money to invest to make it worth it. If you don't have enough money, the returns from HFT are too low relative the risk. Being alert to and
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by thelion on Wed, Jan 2 2013
  • Re: WTF Chemistry/Physics - LIGHT

    Black holes, by their mass, curve space-time, changing the curvature tensor. As does any massive object, although how that happens is still studied. Light is not sucked in. Black holes do not themselves apply any force on light waves. Newtonian law of graviational attractive force between two points as function of mass and distance. Light has no mass
    Posted to General (Forum) by thelion on Tue, Jan 1 2013
  • Re: WTF Chemistry/Physics - LIGHT

    Um, conservation of energy is not an experimental fact. It's a necessary law of nature, because every system eventually reduces to cause = effect. That is, whole effect is never greater than whole cause. Even Leibniz's famous example, a match in the gunpower-room is not the whole cause, but the potential energy of the gunpower must be considered
    Posted to General (Forum) by thelion on Tue, Jan 1 2013
  • Re: Mises Believed in Theft

    Rothbard took it the next logical step. Mises is correct on virtually everything, but this is the one inconsistency (from our modern Rothbardian perspective, which was published only just a few years before his death). But once that further correction is made, everything makes sense within his own system. For comparison: Herbert Spencer, J.B. Say, and
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by thelion on Sat, Dec 29 2012
  • Re: Festschrifts (Mises,Rothbard,Hoppe)

    Yes. All. The first one has one of Rothbard's most important papers. And there are very nice Spadaro and De Jouvenal papers thrown in somewhere. Hayek has a good paper, if I remember properly.
    Posted to General (Forum) by thelion on Thu, Dec 27 2012
  • Re: Stefan Molyneux Hates Ron Paul

    In fact, I am above the fray. I observe that you missed the subtle point of that video. I see also this as the Achilles and the Turtle argument that Dodgson published in the 19th century. One opponent merely rejects, no matter what X and Y are, that X AND Y imply Z. The solution to the paradox was the coherence theory of truth, i.e. logical platonism
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by thelion on Thu, Dec 27 2012
  • Re: Stefan Molyneux Hates Ron Paul

    I don't think you understand the word useful. Furthermore, inconsistency is the only criterion in logic, because internal consistency of systems + consistency of all simultaneous systems = coherence = truth. That's what truth is. "Platonic" truth, some people, positivists, call it, who use truth as something without definition and
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by thelion on Wed, Dec 26 2012
  • Re: I'm not a libertarian.

    [quote] I don't care what you believe. Would you drag me off to prison/beat me up/shoot me in the head when I refused to pay up your social security taxes? That is the real question. It isn't a question of whether you want money to rain down on the unemployed and the poor. What the welfare state actually means is violence against all who refuse
    Posted to General (Forum) by thelion on Wed, Dec 26 2012
  • Re: Stefan Molyneux Hates Ron Paul

    1. Excuse me, I assumed you had in fact read my first post in this thread prior to starting an argument. Of course, since you didn't my comment on Paul's actual success doesn't make much sense to you. I'll repeat myself even more bluntly. You can't teach functional retards, only make the already wise wiser, nor can you infiltrate
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by thelion on Wed, Dec 26 2012
Page 3 of 45 (443 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options