  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="Angurse"] [quote user="z1235"] How? And would I be coerced into accepting it? This "common" law, I mean. If yes, what's the difference from uniform law? If not, why would I voluntarily submit myself to it? Oh wait, I forgot. If I didn't accept it (say, by sacrificing a 10yr old child to my gods each
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Nov 1 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="Angurse"] [quote user="z1235"]Uniform, perchance?[/quote] No, it differs. [/quote] How? And would I be coerced into accepting it? This "common" law, I mean. If yes, what's the difference from uniform law? If not, why would I voluntarily submit myself to it? Oh wait, I forgot. If I didn't accept it
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Nov 1 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="Jon Irenicus"]You mean the fact that it can streamroll its decisions onto its participants willing or unwilling makes it less... 'vague'? More... 'orderly'? [/quote] Yes. [quote user="Jon Irenicus"]Again, Mr Roboto, what is 'vague' about reputation?[/quote] Everything, pretty much. Z.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Nov 1 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="Angurse"] [quote user="z1235"]What's "common" law?[/quote] Body of law based on customs and precedents. [/quote] Uniform, perchance? [quote user="Angurse"]Please notice how you contradict yourself:[/quote] No contradiction whatsoever. Once the courts and judges are elected into position your feelings
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Nov 1 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="MatthewF"]What if some sort of rating system were to evolve? Maybe something similar the Credit Rating's we use today...[/quote] If I used Moody's or S&P ratings as guides for the quality of sub-prime mortgage bonds I'd be bankrupt many times over by now. Not sure if you want to go there with this. And that's
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Oct 31 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="liberty student"] This has been disproven to you several times already. A legal system does not provide order, it provides law. They are two different things. Please read this essay by Hasnas, particularly section XII http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/MythWeb.htm [/quote] I felt that quite the contrary was disproven several
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Oct 31 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="Angurse"]But common law will certainly play a part, there isn't any escaping it[/quote] What's "common" law? [quote user="Angurse"]Once your defense company and my defense company agree to a third party, their decision is final. [/quote] What if there's no party they both find agreeable? [quote
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Oct 31 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="Angurse"]Exactly. That it why an unbiased independent arbitrator is necessary to resolve the dispute. Courts that constantly rule that their clients are right won't be taken seriously.[/quote] Judged "unbiased independent" by whom? Not taken seriously by whom? And how did we just skip over crime in this discussion
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Oct 31 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="David Z"]The tendency of both parties should be towards choosing a fair and impartial arbiter. [/quote] "Fair and impartial" according to what law or legal code? If one (wise and well respected) court felt that a land owner can do whatever he wants with the river that flows through his land, while another (also wise
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Oct 31 2009
  • Re: Rivers in a free society

    [quote user="David Z"]Everyone would prefer to do this, but a decision couldn't bind unless it was the decision of a mutually agreed upon arbiter. So the tendency of both parties should be towards fairness.[/quote] David, if both parties tended toward "fairness" (or, at least, the same perception of it) they wouldn't be having
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Oct 31 2009
Page 230 of 236 (2352 items) « First ... < Previous 228 229 230 231 232 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options