  • Re: Is it wrong to completely dismiss Malthus?

    "Well that's the state in which most of humanity classically lived and which many people currently live in in underdeveloped countries." So during most of humanity's history and in many underdeveloped countries today, people live(d) in a state of "overpopulation"? If only there were less people, then everyone would have
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Jan 13 2013
  • Re: Is it wrong to completely dismiss Malthus?

    [quote user="Neodoxy"] If individuals have children when they cannot afford enough food to properly sustain the child, or if there is any sort of fluctuation in the income of these people/the price of food then for a short time the world would be overpopulated. More over a world which was that close towards starvation may in and of itself
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 12 2013
  • Re: Is it wrong to completely dismiss Malthus?

    "Is this state of affairs somehow different from a world which is overpopulated that leads to a decrease in the population through starvation?" Why/how would the world become overpopulated if there was not enough food? Are you assuming a scenario by which food immediately disappears and this catches everyone off guard?
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 12 2013
  • Re: Lex talionis?

    [quote user="Kelvin Silva"] Would it be just if x were to murder y for x to be killed also? [/quote] I don't think that would be just enough. Perhaps, almost kill x then bring him back to life, then -- when he least expects it -- finally kill him again.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 12 2013
  • Re: World Population Growth and Economic Growth

    [quote user="EmbraceLiberty"] z1235, yes or we run out of resources like I previously mentioned. [/quote] What are "resources" and where do they disappear after we use them?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 12 2013
  • Re: Is it wrong to completely dismiss Malthus?

    [quote user="you12"] My argument is that there can be such a thing as overpopulation. [/quote] How so? If there are too many people relative to the resources they need to reach their ends (eat, live, prosper), then there will be less people. If not, there will be more people. Either way, neither you nor Malthus needn't worry your (big
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 12 2013
  • Re: World Population Growth and Economic Growth

    [quote user="EmbraceLiberty"] z1235, What I mean by this is that output and production is increasing which in turn raises the standard of living. More production, more goods, lower prices, better standard of living. If the economy does not grow then the pie does not expand which does not benefit the average person. [/quote] If voluntary (inter
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 12 2013
  • Re: World Population Growth and Economic Growth

    [quote user="EmbraceLiberty"] I dream about living in Coruscant every other day. So, one day we will hit a point that the economy no longer grows? [/quote] What does it mean (definition?) that an "economy" "grows", and why is it good that it does so?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by z1235 on Fri, Jan 11 2013
  • Re: Bathroom breaks banned on factories?

    Wheylous, DD5 gave you the correct answer to that FAQ. Also, you are starting off on a very slippery slope with your "improve" assertion. Why stop with employers and employees? Wouldn't gov intervention "improve" a market outcome by taking ALL of Bill Gates' money and buying sandwiches for a billion hungry children? Marx
    Posted to History (Forum) by z1235 on Tue, Jan 8 2013
  • Re: My hunch about libertarianism and AnCap

    [quote user="Malachi"]Z, do you think that a prerequisite for a free society would be the conscious willingness of all individuals to take active mental responsibility for their own security?[/quote] Security/defense is merely one of the goods/services demanded (subjectively valued) by humans. I think a prerequisite for a free society is "the
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Jan 6 2013
Page 4 of 236 (2352 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options