  • Re: Hyperbolic Discounting: praxeological reasoning and the nature of hyperbolic discounting as inherent to the axiom of action

    [quote user="wegreenall"] I suppose you're saying then that the power by which the exponential factor (i don't like talking in these terms but it seems frustratingly necessary considering the phenomenon we're trying to describe) increases tends towards zero the lower the amount of risk there is. But what about in the ERE? Discounting
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Jan 6 2013
  • Re: My hunch about libertarianism and AnCap

    [quote user="hashem"]Precisely, that's what I'm getting at also. To maximize pleasure, the state of technology has required them to subjugate the masses. So the incentive toward violence will diminish as technology replaces violence as the primary means to the end of pleasure.[/quote] You forget that, to a psychopath , one of the main
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Jan 6 2013
  • Re: My hunch about libertarianism and AnCap

    [quote user="myhumangetsme"] And as long as I'm shilling for Childs, Libertarianism.org recently released a very nicely priced collection of Childs' essays for the Kindle which I highly recommend. It enthusiastically covers most of his writings before he turned to the dark side. It's one of those collections that's so far outside
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Jan 6 2013
  • Re: Hyperbolic Discounting: praxeological reasoning and the nature of hyperbolic discounting as inherent to the axiom of action

    Interesting, but I don't think diminishing marginal utility could be applied to time as a resource/means. One important distinguishing characteristic of time against all other resources/means is that it is essential and necessary for action (almost by definition). You may choose between a banana and an apple as means towards the end if extinguishing
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Jan 6 2013
  • Re: Website tracks Amazon prices

    [quote user="John James"] It would have been fun to be tracking this... http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358 [/quote] Awesome! Pricing/trading algos everywhere! Especially interesting in the context of my recent write-up on high-freq trading. Perhaps regulators should be looking into this, as well. The price-tracking sites were also cool
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Sun, Jan 6 2013
  • NPR's Planet Money on the Free City project in Honduras

    Can A Poor Country Start Over? "The big idea is that a poor country should take a small, empty part of its territory and say: We're going to build a new city here. And in this new city, we're going to get rid of our existing laws and rules, and bring in the best laws we can find from around the world. Get help from foreign countries. Maybe
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 5 2013
  • Re: Who invented 'thick libertarianism'?

    I'm still perplexed by the persistency of this subject in debates. The way I always understood this -- and have yet to read a counter-argument for it -- all humans have subjective valuations/preferences. Libertarians are those humans who would not initiate aggression towards reaching their subjectively valued ends. Period. Introducing "thickness"
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 5 2013
  • Re: My hunch about libertarianism and AnCap

    [quote user="myhumangetsme"] [quote user="Wheylous"]If not AnCap, then we'll have a bunch of minarchists. That's not that bad.[/quote] Even better if we can talk them out of it once they get to minarchy. [/quote] Just a bump for the awesome link above: Objectivism and the State An Open Letter to Ayn Rand by Roy A. Childs
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Sat, Jan 5 2013
  • Re: Voluntaryist Reader: Is High-Frequency Trading Detrimental to Markets?

    JJ, I read EPJ and ZeroHedge and am aware of their differing views on the subject. HFT has been in the media for years now, especially after 2008. People write/talk about what other people like to write/talk, I guess.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Wed, Jan 2 2013
  • Re: Voluntaryist Reader: Is High-Frequency Trading Detrimental to Markets?

    Prime, that's pure arbitrage and it has been done for thousands of years in everything traded under the sun -- from donkeys to equity shares. If it's so easy and lucrative perhaps you, too, should try it. :) Anyway, I don't see how that is hurting anyone or is detrimental to the markets. Pure arbitrage is a process by which price anomalies
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Wed, Jan 2 2013
Page 5 of 236 (2352 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options