  • Re: Voluntaryist Reader: Is High-Frequency Trading Detrimental to Markets?

    [quote user="abskebabs"] Good article. You might want to read the insightful comment just published below. :D [/quote] Thanks abs. Thoughtful comments. Of course, anyone is welcome to comment/critique. Malachi, if efficient devices for energy transformation, transport, and storage are devised it is entirely possible that energy units (calories
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Tue, Jan 1 2013
  • Voluntaryist Reader: Is High-Frequency Trading Detrimental to Markets?

    Voluntaryist Reader: Is High-Frequency Trading Detrimental to Markets? The prevalent view in the media over the last few years has been that high-frequency trading (HFT) is dangerous for the financial markets and that regulation is necessary to ensure market stability. From a voluntaryist perspective I will argue that HFT — as any other technological
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by z1235 on Tue, Jan 1 2013
  • Re: I'm not a libertarian.

    [quote user="ToxicAssets"] Things are much more complex than that. [/quote] And yet, logical arguments could be made about the likely fate of a hypothetical society in which the "rape everyone that moves and eat all babies for dinner" norm has taken hold. Just so happens that not many such societies could empirically be discerned
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Fri, Dec 28 2012
  • Re: I'm not a libertarian.

    [quote user="Tim67"]And of course Norway's oil (state-owned production) is a big factor in its ability to do this; but plenty of other high welfare states are able to do so without the oil.[/quote] USSR had oil and high welfare. Former Yugoslavia, Greece, Portugal, France, and Italy had high welfare and not much oil. Each and every other
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Fri, Dec 28 2012
  • Re: I'm not a libertarian.

    [quote user="Jargon"] ToxicAssets, Whether rights metaphysically exist or not has zero bearing on their suitability as a grounds for a legal system. I hardly think that most of us here accept them as metaphysically existent, so there is no need to point it out anytime rights are brought up in the legal sense. [/quote] ^ +1
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Fri, Dec 28 2012
  • Re: I'm not a libertarian.

    Tim, so this part wasn't worth addressing? "Sure, the system gives them lots of leisure time to enjoy… but this is not necessarily a choice they make freely, rather the only choice they have. Now, even if this lack of economic freedom seems a reasonable price to pay for national healthcare… even if tamed aspirations and an uninspired
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Thu, Dec 27 2012
  • Re: I'm not a libertarian.

    [quote user="Tim67"]We can think of America v. Norway, for an example, as two countries playing "the same game"(ie, mixed economy) with different tweaks -- Norway more tweaked toward providing welfare programs.[/quote] Tim, what are your thoughts on this article about Norway? "Why Norway is a BS Argument for Higher Taxes"
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Thu, Dec 27 2012
  • Re: I'm not a libertarian.

    [quote user="Tim67"] So, I've been reading this site and forum for awhile now ; just the other day, in fact, it struck me that it's actually been several years . ... Frankly, you all may just convert me, who knows. [/quote] Tim, I'm happy to inform you that you are probably already converted -- you may not be fully aware of it
    Posted to General (Forum) by z1235 on Wed, Dec 26 2012
  • Re: Friedman and Political-Economic Freedom

    [quote user="Bogart"]So there is no Economic Freedom, or Political Freedom, or Freedom of Speech, or Freedom of the Press, ... There is just freedom.[/quote] +1 "Political" freedom, especially, is an oxymoron under any meaningful definition of the term. One can only be politically free to the extent they are free from politics (collectivist
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by z1235 on Wed, Dec 26 2012
  • Re: Individualism VS Liberty & Free Markets

    What a confused jumble of text as a first post here. So basically you "the consumer" prefer cheap goods/services, or at least cheaper than a free market would provide, and are asking what's stopping you from "making" them cheaper (or free?) for yourself by force? I'd say: nothing. Be my guest, only don't underestimate
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by z1235 on Wed, Dec 26 2012
Page 6 of 236 (2352 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options