  • Re: What it is and what it should be

    The funny thing about this post is that you ultimately end up doing the same thing you condemn at the outset. That is, you make a claim as to how things should be based on an unsubstantiated understanding of how things are: "Once you realize that there's nothing you can possibly do to improve "society as whole", you will find yourself
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Wed, Dec 12 2012
  • Re: Question about private rights enforcement policies: coercion?

    [quote]But why does it have to be direct? If there's a rapist on the loose, and as a result you have to hide your kids and hide your wife to protect them, are you really doing it voluntarily?[/quote] What if you thought a rapist was on the loose, and took defensive measures, but you were actually mistaken because you mis-heard the news report?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Wed, Dec 12 2012
  • Re: Pro-libertarian philosophers and anti-libertarian philosophers

    [quote]This thread looks like a compendium of David Gordon Roderick Long.[/quote] Lol. In my defense, I threw a whole bunch of Barry Smith in there as well. Anyway, regarding the rule following paradox, I wasn't tying it to Mises (it wasn't from that paper). Here's the passage I was thinking of: [quote user="Long"]The opponent
    Posted to History (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Dec 7 2012
  • Re: Pro-libertarian philosophers and anti-libertarian philosophers

    This is kind of a weird question. I mean, really no philosopher's promoted libertarianism before the 20th (arguably the 19th) century becuase it didn't exist. Calling out Plato for being anti-libertarian is like calling out Abraham for not being Christian. The other thing is, a philosopher could have a decidedly anti-liberal or apolitical viewpoint
    Posted to History (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Dec 7 2012
  • Re: Better service for the rich under anarchy?

    I pay roughly $200 a year for my renters insurance. If someone broke into my apartment and stole a whole bunch of electronics, I would file a claim and be reimbursed for my stolen property. Conceivably, I could pay $100,000 a year for a private security task force that would patrol my block and prevent any break-ins from happening in the first place
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Dec 7 2012
  • Re: Libertarian Feminism: Can This Marriage Be Saved? essay

    [quote]You don't get to essentially lie about your consent and still consider yourself wronged.[/quote] If a police officer attempted to arrest you for possesion of marijuana, and you did not resist arrest, does that mean you consented to being arrested?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Libertarian Feminism: Can This Marriage Be Saved? essay

    [quote]If there was no violence, then there must have been a threat. The threat can be implicit or explicit. If neither occurred, then there was no rape.[/quote] You say this as if implicit threats are easily identifiable. If a 200 lb man invites a woman home from the bar, and then proceeds to show her his gun collection and says something like "I
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Libertarian Feminism: Can This Marriage Be Saved? essay

    gotlucky, I agree with what you're saying, but I think you're missing he fundamental issue. When I pay my taxes, there is not a single person threatening me -- I don't have someone telling me that I better pay my taxes or else. They are withheld from my income, and I file a tax return in the Spring. However, I have no problem explaining
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Libertarian Feminism: Can This Marriage Be Saved? essay

    One of the more enlightening things libertarians could take from this article is its examination of consent. Libertarians recognize that taxation is non-consensual because the practice ultimately rests upon the threat of force. Yet if we were to examine people paying taxes, that threat is rarely present -- people simply pay there taxes without someone
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Nov 30 2012
  • Re: Privilege

    What exactly is it that we are talking about "fixing"? The market is the greatest institution for increasing the quality of life for the greatest number of people. and the state is the greatest institution for setting up and reinforcing patterns of privilege. So libertarians, even if they don't really care about such things, are already
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Thu, Nov 29 2012
Page 2 of 65 (648 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options