  • Re: Libertarian Feminism: Can This Marriage Be Saved? essay

    [quote user="Charles Johnson"]...the libertarian critique of state power and the feminist critique of patriarchy are complementary, not contradictory . The desire to bring together libertarianism and feminism need not, and should not, involve calling on either movement to surrender its identity for the sake of decorum.[/quote] [quote user
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Thu, Nov 29 2012
  • Re: Next advances in Libertarian theory - predictions

    1. Left-libertarianism is going to increase in popularity (as a theoretical position) because of its willingness and capacity to engage the academic left and speak its language. A lot of "left" ideas are going to become part of orthodox libertarian thought. 2. The renewed interest in virtue ethics among moral philosophers will make its way
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Wed, Nov 28 2012
  • Re: Do all men have the same end (telos)?

    Physiocrat, Although I agree with Long, I'm not sure that such a distinction works with your example of eating chocolate in reference to hapiness (in the formal sense). I think we might be able to say that eating chocolate is instrumental to bringing about pleasure, and pleasure is constitutive of happiness. But eating chocolate in itself isn't
    Posted to General (Forum) by mikachusetts on Tue, Nov 20 2012
  • Re: Can an action be both unjust and moral?

    [quote]But how do we determine which specific rights violations are justified? [/quote] Well, it depends. If you're asking how we can determine which specific rights vilations are justified beforehand , I'd say we just can't. There is just too much tacit knowledge of time and place and custom, etc. required to make such a judgement. For
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Wed, Oct 31 2012
  • Re: Can an action be both unjust and moral?

    [quote user="Southern"]How can you claim to respect peoples rights and then intentionally violate someones rights? [/quote] I'm saying you can respect rights (in general) while violating a right (in specific). [quote]I am assuming of course that an unjust act is an act that violates a persons rights and that you believe that the gun owner
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Tue, Oct 30 2012
  • Re: Can an action be both unjust and moral?

    [quote]how can you respect rights by violating them? It seems that avoidance of rights violations is respecting those very rights.[/quote] Yes, in most cases, avoiding rights violations constitutes repecting those rights. However, this isn't necessarily the case. If you accidentally hit another car while driving, has a rights violation taken place
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Tue, Oct 30 2012
  • Re: Can an action be both unjust and moral?

    PeaceRequiresAnarachy, The belief that some actions can be simultaneously moral and unjust, or immoral and just, requires a conception of justice that is entirely separate from morality. It entails that there is no essential connection between what is right and wrong (morality) and what is rights respecting or violating (justice). The first problem
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Tue, Oct 30 2012
  • Hurricane Sandy

    Can't believe this isn't being talked about. Then again, not all of us live in the mid-atlantic. Anyway, as of 10 minutes ago, it is illegal to drive in baltimore if you don't work for hospitals or the government.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by mikachusetts on Mon, Oct 29 2012
  • Re: Nap as (single) universal Ethic

    [quote]1) without a god, is there any argument that the NAP is a law that is universally heteronomous to all people? 2) if not, if the NAP is an autonomous law, how then can we righteously enforce it on others who do not accept it?[/quote] 1. Short Answer: Not that I'm aware of – though I've never seen an argument that justifies the NAP
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Mon, Oct 29 2012
  • Re: Madame Blavatsky... the Universe as an acting being

    Clayton, I thought you might be interested in this article by Roderick Long: http://c4ss.org/content/11146 He essentially argues that spontaneous order mechanisms can reinforce and maintain state systems so that "conspiracy theory" type explanations aren't altogether necessary for understanding how states maintain themselves.
    Posted to General (Forum) by mikachusetts on Wed, Oct 24 2012
Page 3 of 65 (648 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options