  • Re: Disappointing David Gordon daily

    [quote user="Adam Knott"]The problem for libertarian ethics and libertarian social science, is that no way has been found to demonstrate a necessary consequence of this type that results from actions such as lying, stealing, coercing, etc. [/quote] Really? It seems self evident that a necessary result of lying is that you are being dishonest
    Posted to General (Forum) by mikachusetts on Wed, Oct 17 2012
  • Re: Is Libertarianism Compatible with Subjective Morality?

    [quote]No one has made a case as to why there is a rightness or wrongness as an essential characteristic of homicide.[/quote] Because no one is claiming this. Just because someone rejects that right and wrong are matters of personal opinion does not mean that they think that right and wrong are intrinsic qualities of action. The example I gave to illustrate
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Mon, Oct 15 2012
  • Re: Argumentation or Discourse ethics?

    There's two types of people: those who agree with argumentation ethics because it justifies the beliefs they already hold, and those who disagree with arguementation ethics no matter what it claims to justify. The reason that Habermas and Hoppe reach near opposite conclusions is because discourse ethics can be used to justify almost anything.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Sat, Oct 13 2012
  • Re: My friend disagrees with "natural rights" and anarchy...

    [quote]Isn't he correct that 'ownership = control'? [/quote] Even if it were the case that ownership = control (and its not), the issue is that such a conclusion flies in the face of his initial claims. He starts out saying that ownership is a social construct, not some absolute principle that exists "out there." Fine. But his
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Oct 12 2012
  • Re: My friend disagrees with "natural rights" and anarchy...

    [quote] "Anarchocapitalism is based around Rothbard's natural law theory, the non-aggression axiom/principle, and Hoppe's argumentation ethic, all of which are based on the assumption that the concept of ownership exists as an absolute, abstract object that we all must think of in the same terms, and that it can be permanently linked to
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Oct 12 2012
  • Re: Is Libertarianism Compatible with Subjective Morality?

    gotlucky, Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be your general argument: Right and wrong are simply peoples attitudes towards behaviors Attitudes towards behaviors are subjective Therefore, morality is subjective First off, the initial premise is the very point of contention. When people are arguing about whether morality is subjective or
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Thu, Oct 11 2012
  • Re: Is Libertarianism Compatible with Subjective Morality?

    The problem with arguing against moral objectivism is that it is not a monolithic position. It is a just the name given to a group of related positions on morality. So statements like the following don't actually address the issue: [quote]Morality is necessarily subjective. Subjects (people) value.[/quote] [quote]Morality is subjective because it
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by mikachusetts on Wed, Oct 10 2012
  • Re: The concept of essence in Carl Menger's Economics

    Lee’s main claim in the article is that “According to [Smith], essence or general essence in Menger is identical to essence in the Aristotelian sense of a universal .” But this isn’t what Smith claims. Here’s what Smith actually says in the cited article: “There are in the world certain simple `essences' or `natures'
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by mikachusetts on Thu, Sep 27 2012
  • Re: Mises video mistake on praxeology

    [quote user="Adam Knott"]I tend to believe that libertarian ethics theories are linked to an Aristotelian/Scholastic framework, but I would debate that Austrian economics and praxeology are tied to Aristotle.[/quote] Interesting. I'm fairly convinced by Barry Smith's analysis of the Austrian tradition as an Aristotelian one. I know
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by mikachusetts on Fri, Jul 20 2012
  • Re: Tell us about your avatar

    A section of wallpaper. I like the way it looks.
    Posted to General (Forum) by mikachusetts on Mon, Jul 16 2012
Page 5 of 65 (648 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options