  • Re: The Obesity Epidemic

    [quote user="K.C. Farmer"] Remember the food pyramid the US Government was pushing? The current understanding of human metabolism and nutrition has proven the food pyramid not only to be unhealthy, but a recipe for obesity. Thank you FDA! Government intervention won't work. First, they use bad science or pseudoscience. Second, they are
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JeffB on Thu, Aug 4 2011
  • Re: OK all you anarchists, the jig's up. At least if England has anything to say about it...

    Oops. Sorry for the repeat. I did a quick search but missed the earlier thread.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by JeffB on Wed, Aug 3 2011
  • OK all you anarchists, the jig's up. At least if England has anything to say about it...

    Anarchists should be reported, advises Westminster anti-terror police http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/31/westminster-police-anarchist-whistleblower-advice?INTCMP=SRCH Islamist terrorists also mentioned in briefing, as anarchists complain of being criminalised for their beliefs Robert Booth guardian.co.uk , Sunday 31 July 2011 19.14 BST Anarchists
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by JeffB on Wed, Aug 3 2011
  • Has the U.S. Become a Banana Republic?

    I can't take any credit for the question above, as it was from a post by Ironman at Political Calculations over at Seeking Alpha. He in turn had "stolen" the topic from Washington's Blog . But I thought it was an interesting and timely topic & thought I'd repost some of it here: Has the U.S. Become a Banana Republic? http:
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JeffB on Mon, Apr 25 2011
  • Re: On debunking "The Paradox of Thrift"

    [quote user="John James"] [quote user="JeffB"]Thanks for that tip as well. It'll probably come in handy in the future.[/quote] No problem. Got one more for you...it'll help you with quoting .[/quote] Thanks! My problems with the quoting seem to be intermittent. I've had it work before, but last night I couldn't get
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JeffB on Fri, Apr 22 2011
  • Re: QE III or Lack Thereof

    [quote user="Modus Tollens"] ... Nominal spending remains depressed. We need more money.[/quote] I think Roger W. Garrison , Professor of Economics at Auburn University, has a great Power Point presentation on YouTube on "Capital Based Macroeconomics" that shows why we're in the economic dire straights we're in now: www.youtube
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JeffB on Fri, Apr 22 2011
  • Re: QE III or Lack Thereof

    [quote user="Caley McKibbin"] Some " squeeze" that is..[/quote] Thanks for that link! I had been looking for something that could generate the TMS. I thought I had seen some data on a website somewhere, but it hadn't been updated in a few years or so.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JeffB on Fri, Apr 22 2011
  • Re: QE III or Lack Thereof

    [quote user="Rcder"] Theoretically the Federal Reserve could choose to stop expanding credit and let interest rates rise. They're a relatively independent government institution, so Bernanke and his ilk would be insulated from the mood swings of popular democracy.[/quote] I think your are right that the Fed could theoretically stop expanding
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JeffB on Fri, Apr 22 2011
  • Re: Quantitative easing (QE)

    As I understand it you are exactly right. It is illegal for the Fed to purchase treasuries directly . But I've seen at least one article on ZeroHedge that showed the Fed was purchasing many of them within 3 hours of issuance from dealers which could be shown by the (serial?) numbers. There have been similar articles on Seeking Alpha. Professor Antal
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JeffB on Fri, Apr 22 2011
  • Re: You're really only paying 6% in taxes... you just THINK you're paying more than that...

    [quote user="Neodoxy"] 2. How is "real inflation", as you say, different from that which the feds calculate?[/quote] I know that the site, Shadow Stats takes issue with a lot of government statistics. Here's a page that gives their reasons for disputing official U.S. inflation figures . There are certainly people who dispute
    Posted to General (Forum) by JeffB on Fri, Apr 22 2011
Page 1 of 13 (124 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options