  • Re: Question about the yield curve

    Found another article by Shostak where he says the "risk free" yield curve would be flat. That once factoring in risk it would slope upwards slightly. This makes more sense.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Thu, Jun 16 2011
  • Question about the yield curve

    I’ve just read an article from Frank Shostak “What’s with the yield curve” http://mises.org/daily/382. Now in business school i was taught over and over again that the reason the yield curve slopes upwards is because liquidity preference and the risk associated with longer term investments as Frank mentions in the article. However
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Thu, Jun 16 2011
  • Re: A question regarding Selgin’s response to Bagus and Howden

    [quote user="abskebabs"] If consumers would know about the reduced access to redemption due to bank loans, this seems to me practically tantamount to loan banking and not FRB. Doesn't the entire problem for the 100% reserve school come from the fact that full rights have been simultaneously decreed to different individuals for the same
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Apr 4 2011
  • Re: A question regarding Selgin’s response to Bagus and Howden

    [quote user="Black Numero"] Depending on who you talk to, it seems like that could generate a business cycle (me :D). My point was for a 100% reserve economy. [/quote] I think the idea behind free banking is that fractional-reserve banking (done contractually) would not be inflationary. If you put $1,000 into a checking account and the bank
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Apr 4 2011
  • Cowen: "If I believed in Austrian Business Cycle Theory"

    Have you guys ever seen this from Tyler Cowen from 2005? [quote user="Tyler Cowen"] 1. I would think that Asian central banks, by buying U.S. dollars, have been driving a massive distortion of real exchange and interest rates. 2. I would think that the U.S. economy is overinvested in non-export durables, most of all residential housing. 3
    Posted to General (Forum) by C on Mon, Apr 4 2011
  • Re: Logical justification for monetarism

    I just read an article from Tabarrock where he says .. "in monetarist theories [the business cycle is] a misallocation of resource due to a confusion of real and nominal price signals" What the hell does that mean?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Apr 4 2011
  • Logical justification for monetarism

    The keynsians at least use the fallacious 'paradox of thrift' to attempt to explain their theories, but in all my readings I've never heard an attempt to justify monetarism on logical grounds. They seem to be OK with the idea of prices adjusting to an increase in the demand for money. Friedman actually adovated at one point pegging the nominal
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Apr 4 2011
  • Re: Does money printing (even when hoarded) always raise prices?

    [quote user="Maurizio Colucci"] as the hoarder would be effectively contracting the money supply. but he would ask for more money to sell his services... [/quote] There's no reason to assume that. Why would the supply curve for labor shift as a result of an increase cash holding? All the horder does is reduce his present consumption.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Apr 4 2011
  • Re: A question regarding Selgin’s response to Bagus and Howden

    I have found a paper by George that answers my questions fairly well. In Defense of Fiduciary Media-or, We are Not Devo(lutionists), We are Misesians! He does a good job of answering the critics on most issues. I still don't know if I buy into the whole thing. I would say though that I agree with the legal framework that would need to be applied
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Apr 4 2011
  • Re: Does money printing (even when hoarded) always raise prices?

    The only thing you can say is that money printing in the face of an increased demand for money (hoarding) will make prices higher than they otherwise would have been . Remember an increase in the demand for money should cause a fall in the price level. If money is printed prices will fall by less then they otherwise would have. So in that sense the
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Apr 4 2011
Page 1 of 16 (157 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options