  • Capital Consumption

    I've been pondering Bob Murphy's article The Importance of Capital Theory where he tries to show that during the "boom" phase of the business cycle people feel wealthier because they actually consume more . The credit expansion results in businesses unknowingly consuming capital which increases the production of consumer goods albeit
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Wed, Nov 10 2010
  • Private accreditation

    How exactly would private accreditation work. I'm not talking about private in name only agencies that we have now but genuine private agencies. Namely, how would they generate income? For example in health care, would patients pay for a subscription to a list of accredited doctors? Would the doctors pay to take the exams, membership fees etc? If
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Sun, Oct 24 2010
  • Re: Efficient Market Hypothesis

    2. I don't see why govt policy distorting fundamentals should change the argument. The existence of the govt is not a secret. Everyone has that info. Everyone does not have the same info when dealing with government. If they did then everyone would have avoided investing in the housing market knowing that Fed policy was just creating an unsustainable
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Oct 11 2010
  • Re: Undercutter war insurance agencies

    I posted this exact question a ways back and never got a sufficient answer. I've looked at this from just about every angle and can't find a way to solve the free rider problem. And none of the above suggestions do it for me either. I've pretty much chalked it up like this...the need for collective defense only arises because some other
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by C on Mon, Oct 11 2010
  • Re: Efficient Market Hypothesis

    [quote user="Smiling Dave"] I don't see any basis for such an assumption. We may all have the same information, but some people know what to do with it. [/quote] Couldn't one make the claim that the ones who know what to do with it will drive the ones who don't out of the market? Wouldn't that mean that the only people remaining
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Oct 11 2010
  • Re: Efficient Market Hypothesis

    [quote user="Smiling Dave"] 1. So there is no such thing as insider trading? 2. So all people are equally intelligent? And they all think the same way? Why is there ever any disagreement about anything at all, seeing as we all have the same information? Why do debates not end with one side conceding every single time? 3. Bottom line, there
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Oct 11 2010
  • Re: Efficient Market Hypothesis

    [quote user="Smiling Dave"] If you can kindly explain why everyone would beat the market half the time, then I might buy into it. As is, it sounds pretty silly. Of course we can test it by going to ESPN.com and checking if their experts predicted game outcomes about 50% of the time. If they didn't that would kill the EMH, no? If they did
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Oct 11 2010
  • Re: Obama seeks bipartisan support for infrastructure upgrade

    I thought the trillion dollar stimulus was to be spent on infrastructure. Opps!
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by C on Mon, Oct 11 2010
  • Re: Efficient Market Hypothesis

    Ya I've never heard it termed efficient market theory.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Oct 11 2010
  • Efficient Market Hypothesis

    I'm having an interesting discussion with my professor on EMH and I'm trying to show him the failure of EMH to explain bubbles. He's taking the position that the price of the assets at the height of the bubble took into account all known information. When new information was known the market adjusted. I've mentioned low interest rates
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by C on Mon, Oct 11 2010
Page 4 of 16 (157 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options