  • Re: Taxes passed on to consumers

    It seems to me that would only be valid for a market with one seller. With multiple sellers, part of the cap on prices is the potential for lost market share when another seller offers the product for less. Increasing the price by 20 percent might maximize revenue, but only if everyone increases their prices - which you may see with a tax increase.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by cporter on Sat, Mar 16 2013
  • Re: Why doesn't milk cost $20 - LibertyHQ

    Record profit in this case means highest profit for that company. They weren't saying Costco had higher net profits than WalMart. I'm pretty sure the Costco CEO believe in what he's saying, but it's still awfully convenient that his recommended minimum wage increase is above the starting wage of his competitors and below the starting
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by cporter on Thu, Mar 14 2013
  • Re: Why doesn't milk cost $20 - LibertyHQ

    haha, brilliant marketing. Use modern populism to grow your base. Costco's not even in the same market as WalMart.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by cporter on Wed, Mar 13 2013
  • Re: How do you prohibit stuff in a free market?

    I don't think the OP was asking about a fairy tale land where not a single soul ever violates another persons rights, willingly or otherwise. I could be wrong, but I believe the question assumed normal humans (even if more libertarian than today's populace). [quote user="ToxicAssets"]You cannot prohibit anything in any circumstance
    Posted to General (Forum) by cporter on Tue, Mar 5 2013
  • Re: How do you prohibit stuff in a free market?

    Ultimately violence or threat of violence.
    Posted to General (Forum) by cporter on Mon, Mar 4 2013
  • Re: A Civil Action

    These kinds of things are so common, and yet they blow my mind every time. The courts are government run from top to bottom. Why would the government screwing the pooch make her rethink a free-market environmentalist position? I guess the other government alternative would be a regulator doing something about it when the court didn't, but that is
    Posted to General (Forum) by cporter on Fri, Dec 28 2012
  • Re: This Forum Is Closing, Austrianforum.com Is Back Open

    [quote user="Cortes"] Maybe one of the reasons they're abandoning this is because this software itself is abandonware. I've never seen any other message boards with this kind of framework. It seems complex and overly costly to support and doesn't even apparently function as intended. Basically it seems over-engineered when there
    Posted to General (Forum) by cporter on Fri, Dec 14 2012
  • Re: Investor's Corner

    I love Smiling Dave's posts in this thread. :) I do a fair amount of direct business investment. When I invest in one of these businesses I am getting my money back plus some additional money at an agreed upon rate. I weigh the risk of them being unable to actually earn the money needed to pay me when deciding whether to finance the project or not
    Posted to General (Forum) by cporter on Thu, Nov 15 2012
  • Re: My buddy says hurricane sandy is an exception to the broken window fallacy because...

    There's a thread on this not too far down the page. Conveniently, the OP makes basically the same argument, though considerably more detailed and not event-specific: http://mises.org/community/forums/t/32308.aspx In short, your buddy is wrong. There may well be a wealth transfer from rich people to the workers, however that is not an exception to
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by cporter on Tue, Nov 6 2012
  • Re: Official election stuff thread: Because tomorrow is in the future

    I really, really hope it's Obama. Fortunately, I think he'll win. Like Jon, I don't want what's coming to be in any way blamed on not being tyrannical enough. Sadly, I know it doesn't matter that much as they'll do it anyway.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by cporter on Tue, Nov 6 2012
Page 1 of 31 (303 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options