  • Re: Game Theory, self interest, and praxeology

    Sun. 12/08/12 20:02 EDT . post #234 [quote user="zefreak"] I can't take a psychologist (or psychiatrist) seriously if he believes in a disembodied mind/soul, or if he thinks that such a mind has choices that are not determined by the multitude of factors being processed by the brain.[/quote]You seem to think of Szasz as a "dualist
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sun, Aug 12 2012
  • Re: Game Theory, self interest, and praxeology

    Sun. 12/08/12 14:07 EDT . post #233 [quote user="zefreak"] I'll do the forum a favor of ignoring your snarky comments ...[/quote]...and also, apparently, the two questions I asked you. [quote user="zefreak"]The original comment that I replied to posited that behavior was a product of bad upbringing, poor parenting or other environmental
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sun, Aug 12 2012
  • Re: Game Theory, self interest, and praxeology

    Sat. 12/08/11 12:05 EDT . post #232 [quote user="zefreak"] Well I obviously think he is wrong, ...[/quote]What effort are you making to challenge your beliefs? Which of Szasz's books have you read? [quote user="zefreak"]... and his conclusion doesn't really make since in the context of modern cognitive science and psychology
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Aug 11 2012
  • Re: Game Theory, self interest, and praxeology

    Sun. 12/08/05 22:59 EDT . post #231 [quote user="zefreak"] I don't think I agree with that at all, Clayton. Behavior is a product of the brain , and while it might not be classified as a 'disease' strictly speaking, it can easily be the product of an illness. Blaming the parent or environment is easy, but often wrong. For example
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sun, Aug 5 2012
  • Re: Is Holmes mentally ill?

    Sun. 12/08/05 22:32 EDT . post #230 Here is the corrected paragraph from my above post: The idea here (and in much of what Szasz writes) is that the myth of mental illness persists because it is a [rueful[/i] useful myth: Invoking it provides the appearance of "explaining" some unpleasant reality while simultaneously allowing the evasion of
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by MMMark on Sun, Aug 5 2012
  • Re: Is Holmes mentally ill?

    Sat. 12/07/28 2012 16:52 EDT . post #229 [quote user="Wheylous"] I haven't really considered whether murderers are all inherently mentally ill, but to me it seems from a naive perspective that not all murderers have to be mentally ill or psychopaths. I'd appreciate any ideas.[/quote] Wheylous, have a look at this article by Szasz:
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 28 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 21:43 EDT . post #228 [quote user="Malachi"] it most certainly is not, it is comparable to asserting that forcing victims to pay criminals is immoral.[/quote]But my example of incarceration specifically precluded that, remember? Go back and re-read what I wrote. Don't be in a hurry to respond too quickly. I want you to understand
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 21:23 EDT . post #227 [quote user="gotlucky"] Incarceration, especially in its current form, is about forcing the victim (and others) to pay to house, cloth, and feed the person who aggressed against him.[/quote]This is sloppy language. Incarceration in its current form might involve or include that, but that is not what incarceration
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 21:03 EDT . post #226 [quote user="gotlucky"] No, it is not equivalent.[/quote]Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it. I'd appreciate your elaboration. The way I see it, in order for the victim to be reimbursed, the criminal will have to produce. This leaves only slavery 2 , which means he must also be a prisoner, since
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 20:38 EDT . post #225 [quote user="Malachi"] Yes, because the incarceration itself is immoral, ...[/quote]Interesting. This is tantamount to asserting that forcing criminals to repay their victims is immoral. [quote user="Malachi"]... anything to increase the burden of incarceration on those who enable and support it
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
Page 2 of 24 (234 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options