  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 20:21 EDT . post #224 Here's another thing to think about, in light of Malachi's answer , above; consider this hypothetical situation: A new prison program is introduced. Prisoners are forced to work. Part of the profits from their forced labor are used to both reduce the taxpayer burden of imprisoning them, and also to reimburse
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 19:53 EDT . post #223 Also, note that a man who is forced to work but allowed to keep 100% of his product also qualifies as "slave," according to your definition. With respect to this question, for me, there isn't any meaningful difference between forcing a man to work and then robbing him of his product, and allowing a man
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 18:56 EDT . post #222 [quote user="SirTenenbaum"] I define slave as someone who is put to work by someone else involuntarily.[/quote]So, a person kept locked in someone else's basement wouldn't qualify as "a slave," but only "a prisoner." According to your definition, then, a slave is just a subset
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Saturday, July 14, 2012 18:15 EDT . post #221 [quote user="SirTenenbaum"] If it is immoral/unethical for B to coerce A into producing the cotton, is it moral/ethical for C to purchase cotton from B if B coerced A into producing the cotton? (C knows that B coerced A into producing the cotton.)[/quote]Okay, thanks for answering my question
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 16:08 EDT . post #220 [quote user="vive la insurrection"] What do you mean by "real slavery"? You really have no clue what he was getting at? I did. In the traditions of slavery outside of leftism (wage slavery, and other stupid categories) under what customs were cultures and law calling people slaves? Get that general
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Buying goods from slave labor

    Sat. 12/07/14 14:36 EDT . post #219 [quote user="SirTenenbaum"] So let's say a country has slavery (I mean real slavery, not the left's "slavery" of sweatshops), and the slaves produce almost all the goods for export from that country. Is it moral to buy the goods made from slave labor?[/quote]This question confuses me. What
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MMMark on Sat, Jul 14 2012
  • Re: Register on the new forum and post there while this one is down

    Mon. 12/07/09 15:55 EDT . post #218 [quote user="Autolykos"] With all due respect, I don't see how I'm being dishonest simply because I've chosen to respect Physiocrat's request. Furthermore, my choice of words is always influenced by one or more desires.[/quote]All right, then consider this example: A mother tells her little
    Posted to General (Forum) by MMMark on Mon, Jul 9 2012
  • Re: Register on the new forum and post there while this one is down

    Mon. 12/07/09 11:32 EDT . post #217 [quote user="Autolykos"] I'd prefer not to be on the receiving end of such sanctions, so I've chosen to stop arguing.[/quote]Again, very well said. Your (very reasonable) response illustrates perfectly what I meant by "in defense of honest discussion." Now, instead of honestly expressing
    Posted to General (Forum) by MMMark on Mon, Jul 9 2012
  • Re: Register on the new forum and post there while this one is down

    Mon. 12/07/09 10:21 EDT . post #216 [quote user="Autolykos"] Thanks, but I think it is necessary at this point, as Physiocrat has told JJ and me to stop responding to each other in this thread.[/quote]That's a real drag, in my opinion. The deletion of John's post precludes the possibility of ever "evaluating it on its own merits
    Posted to General (Forum) by MMMark on Mon, Jul 9 2012
  • Re: Register on the new forum and post there while this one is down

    Mon. 12/07/09 09:49 EDT . post #215 [quote user="Autolykos"] I would be happy to do so, ...[/quote]Is this necessary? Seems to me you're doing a perfectly good job of handling the situation yourself. Edit: [quote user="Autolykos"] I'd like people to evaluate my posts (as well as JJ's) on their own merits.[/quote]Well
    Posted to General (Forum) by MMMark on Mon, Jul 9 2012
Page 3 of 24 (234 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options