  • libertarian view on seat belt/ helmet laws

    Please help me understand the libertarian view that seat belt/ helmet laws are an infringement on rights. we sign a contract with our driver’s license to obey traffic laws etc. and the streets are not our private property. Are not seat belt / helmet and cell phone laws consistent with contract laws and the same as stopping at a red light? . Would
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mike on Tue, Jul 6 2010
  • Re: Arguing with Idiots. Is it a wasted effort?

    i hear ya.. but remember (with all due repect) a lot of people think you're an idiot too... rememboring this keeps my mind right. and I have found that over time you will convince a lot of people the validity of your ideas. it took me a while but i have turned most of my family towards liberty. there was a good post the other day from smeone about
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mike on Thu, Jul 1 2010
  • Re: Arguing with Idiots. Is it a wasted effort?

    Most people, including many educated people think that they are far too enlightened to ever allow the abuses of power to unfold as they did centuries ago, good post, but the above line caught my eye. "centuries ago" . the USSR just collapsed 20 years ago, nazi's 70 years.. even today all around the world... it can happen here too..
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mike on Thu, Jul 1 2010
  • Re: Is there a libertarian solution to domestic abuse?

    Hope this is not too off target – but a similar question I have – I regarding the protection of children and animals if not for state force. How would private organizations have the power to protect the truly innocent? I have heard libertarians say that children are “owned” by their parents or that they have no rights until they
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mike on Thu, Jul 1 2010
  • Re: Illegal Immigration, Libertarianism and Austrian Economics

    the libertarian stance on the current immigration issue is wrong headed and harmful to the future of your (our?) cause. Regardless of the theoretical correctness of your argument, we live in a world currently with borders. Outside of our borders are tens of millions of people from lands that generally are of extremely different economic circumstances
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Mike on Thu, Jul 1 2010
  • Re: Illegal Immigration

    Aquilla, I enjoy your knowledge and well reasoned posts. And if you really are as old as your profile says – I’m impressed.. did the native population, i.e “Indians” have a right to defend “their” land and culture from the invading euro trash?? If yes, do not the current natives have the same right? Also do you believe
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mike on Tue, Jun 29 2010
  • Re: Heroes?

    Aquilla I see you are a huge supporter of any and all immigration. I see a lot of people espousing this belief. however rarely do I see people acknowledge that this is not possible without dismantling the welfare state. or do you believe it is ok for them to use all the recourses of a "citizen" who pays 1/2 their labor in taxes BTW - i may
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mike on Mon, Jun 28 2010
  • Re: Why is U.S. health care more expensive & worse than other countries?

    This is really not a good comparison in so many ways. A couple of surface reasons; one vet does not need to charge higher prices to you to subsidize the cost of all the other animals that do not have insurance or are mandated low fee’s like medicare/medicade. There is not nearly the capital investment required for animal machines, doctor training
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by Mike on Sun, Jun 27 2010
  • Re: Why is U.S. health care more expensive & worse than other countries?

    i understand that the multi millionaire ambulance chaser abomination called John Edwards, hero of the poor - won a lawsuit that has had affect of dramatically increasing the use of C sections. most of which are unnecessary.
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by Mike on Sun, Jun 27 2010
  • Re: Why is U.S. health care more expensive & worse than other countries?

    i'm not sure on the stillborn aspect, but aside from different ways of calculating what is " infant mortality" there is also the whole area of demographics, drug addics, personal choices of prenatal care etc. gun deaths, traffic accidents and obesity unfortunelty are much higher in US, which has little to do with quality of medical care
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by Mike on Sun, Jun 27 2010
Page 14 of 20 (194 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options