  • Question about the regression theorem

    Mises uses the regression theorem to explain why money could only have emerged out of an invisible hand process and not through a government decision for example. But why is the latter impossible per se? If the government hands out banknotes to people and tells them to use that as payment from now on, then as Mises rightly puts it the whole system of
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Sat, Oct 11 2008
  • If gold is so good...

    then why don't people use it as payment right now? to be sure, I don't mean this as a provocative question and am pretty sure that there are good reasons why people don't use gold for payment, but for an assignment I'm writing I'd like to know the exact reasons. For example, I think I understand why full reserve banking is not practiced
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Sat, Oct 11 2008
  • Abstraction and time in economics

    the following concerns a problem I'm working on for a course I am taking. The basic question is whether the idea of non-precisive abstractions is still useful when we apply it to events over time in the form of counterfactual comparison. The main reason that it may not be useful would be that it is impossible to isolate causal factors through time
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Thu, Sep 25 2008
  • My summary of "Government and Science: a Dangerous Liaison?"

    may be of use to some people Government and Science: a Dangerous Liaison? William N. Butos and Thomas J. McQuade With the rise of the modern state, governments have increasingly intervened in the funding and the direction of scientific activity. It is not so much that governments try to exercise blatant and crude control over the content and direction
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Tue, May 27 2008
  • My Summary of Roderick Long's 'Realism and Abstraction in Economics: Aristotle and Mises versus Friedman

    may be of use to some Realism and Abstraction in Economics: Aristotle and Mises versus Friedman Roderick Long Austrians frequently criticize neoclassical economics for the unrealistic character of its assumptions. Things like rivalry, imperfect information, non-monetary incentives are left out of the idealized models because neoclassicals (e.g. Friedman
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Mon, May 26 2008
  • My Summary of Roderick Long's "Anti-Psychologism in Economics"

    may be of use to people Anti-Psychologism in Economics: Wittgenstein and Mises Roderick Long Mises’ idea of a universally valid economic science came under fire from all directions and many such critics bolstered their position by assailing the notion of a universally valid logic as well with the idea of polylogism, the idea that the principles
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Mon, May 26 2008
  • Summary of Joseph Salerno's 'Ludwig von Mises as Social Rationalist'

    may be of help to people Mises as a Social Rationalist Joseph Salerno Reason and origin of society Reason precedes action. Reason developed to cope in world of scarcity - knowledge = fruit of thought + basis for action - - society = concerted action = cooperation = thus outcome of conscious purposeful behavior & result of will and thus has to be
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Mon, May 19 2008
  • Re: Money & Inflation FAQ

    What is the cause of inflation? Inflation occurs when the amount of money in an economy increases relative to the number of goods in the economy. Imagine a very simple economy: there are 100 products in total and 100 units of money (100 dollars for example). The average price of a product is then: 100 dollars (the amount of money) / 100 products (the
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Sat, Oct 27 2007
  • Re: Money & Inflation FAQ

    What is money? Money is a commonly accepted medium of exchange. Not everybody would want to trade his car or 40 hours of his labor for a trip to the Bahamas or for a nice home cinema set. So trips to the Bahamas and home cinema sets are not commonly accepted as a medium of exchange. But people would likely want to exchange their car or their labor for
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Sat, Oct 27 2007
  • Money & Inflation FAQ

    Dear Mises.org members, two friends of mine and I are trying to put together a 'Money & Inflation FAQ' that will serve as an introduction to these topics. In the next posts I will publish our text so far. The last question 'What are the consequences of inflation?' is not ready yet. Anyway, please feel free to add, correct, change
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Koen Swinkels on Sat, Oct 27 2007
Page 6 of 7 (63 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | More Search Options