  • Re: A question for the Minarchists.

    Possibly, but so long as the courts are good (as they have every reason to be) the creation of a competitor would be difficult due to a natural near-monopoly. Courts have high efficiencies of scale, as fixed costs are high and variable costs low, and are primarily dependant on subjective reputation, which is difficult to establish. I think that a beneficial
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Webster on Mon, Oct 1 2007
  • Re: Libertarian Paradox

    Define freedom of speech. If you are referring to the fact that speaking is never a crime, then I agree, with one caveat: that exclusion from property is not a punishment, but an exercise of property rights. The sidewalk is actually not a right-of-way, because the government continues to assert its control over the sidewalk. It permits people to walk
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Webster on Mon, Oct 1 2007
  • Re: The goal of politics: making people happy (AKA Brave New World 2.0)

    I actually agree that happiness is the goal of politics, just as prosperity is the goal of economic organization. It just so happens, however, that just as free markets lead to prosperity, limited government leads to happiness.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Webster on Mon, Oct 1 2007
  • Re: Who was the worst president?

    I personally believe that a stance against the death penalty for murder is an offense against natural law, but be that as it may be, his record on monetary affairs is not the best. I recommend A Financial History of the United States by Dewey, if you can still find a copy.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Webster on Sat, Sep 29 2007
  • Re: A question for the Minarchists.

    I am not quite certain whether I am a minarchist or an anarchist, but when I was a minarchist I thought that the state should finance itself by fines on criminals. Essentially, part of the punishment for every criminal should be the variable court costs associated with his case, along with his share of the fixed costs. Why should we as a society pay
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Webster on Sat, Sep 29 2007
  • Re: Are there two sides to the Ron Paul campaign?

    First of all, abortion should be left out of libertarianism because to those who oppose abortion, it falls under the same principals of natural law as murder. Very few people believe that abortion should be illegal who do not believe that it is murder, and believing that an infant's humanity is not decided by its location is not a direct reflection
    Posted to General (Forum) by Webster on Sat, Sep 29 2007
  • Re: Who was the worst president?

    But even Jefferson caved in rather dramatically in supporting intervention and redistribution, despite his fine rhetoric.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Webster on Sat, Sep 29 2007
  • Re: Did the Fed go too far?

    I agree. Not being an anarchist is not prima facie evidence of supporting any market intervention; for three or four years I was a minarchist who opposed any government intervention in the economy and I saw no contradiction. I will not accept that Mises supported state intervention in the economy without a direct quotation.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Webster on Sat, Sep 29 2007
  • Re: The Myths surrounding the phenomenon of inflation...

    Inflation arises from a discrepancy between the amount of money that can be spent and what it can buy at present prices. If the present amount of money being used to purchase goods is greater than the monetary value of goods available, then inflation will correct the imbalance. One good becoming more expensive with no underlying increase in purchasing
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Webster on Sat, Sep 29 2007
  • Re: Are there two sides to the Ron Paul campaign?

    Comparing Ron Paul to statists like Reagan and Goldwater is dramatically unfair to Paul. Reagan and Goldwater were part of the New Right, that accepted the government's place in society and its responsibilities to uphold the welfare of its citizens, but also believed that the free market was often the best way to do that. Ron Paul rejects the state's
    Posted to General (Forum) by Webster on Sat, Sep 29 2007
Page 1 of 6 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options