  • Re: Thoughts on Gender Roles?

    >objectively beautiful Clayton, isn't that nonsensical? Edit: maybe you meant "(inter-subective) beauty commanding a higher objective exchange value". Surely this applies to female models vs. male models. But we are talking about typical roles. Is this really of relevance for typical people?
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Mar 5 2013
  • Re: freakonomics on animal rationality

    >Lower animals will never have rights per se at law Clayton, suppose a neighbor badly beats his dog and the animal runs on to your property and you accept it into your home. The neighbor demands you give the dog back, but you refuse. Have you committed a tort? In other words, can a dog be some kind of limited self-owner that can seek out a new guardian
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Mar 5 2013
  • Re: freakonomics on animal rationality

    What's the point of this thread? That some animals can display a pale immitation of human-like behavior? I know from the book "Where Mathematics Comes From" that pigeons can perform small arithmetical computation (e.g. 3 - 1 = 2) about as well as infants do. In any case, it seems animals do not form markets on their own or integrate as
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Mar 5 2013
  • Re: Possible evidence of what is to come

    " It is possible, I suppose, to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate under the Constitution and applicable laws of the United States for the President to authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States. " - Eric Holder So what? Insurrection, terrorism, and
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Mar 5 2013
  • Re: Jeb Bush: I won't rule out 2016 White House run 'but I won't declare today'

    W, Obama, and Romney are all the same as far as I can tell. Isn't this just more of the same?
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Mar 5 2013
  • Re: Thoughts on Gender Roles?

    >Does anyone here have thoughts on gender roles and identity? Women tend to have average intelligence, while men, with only one X chromosome, are more variable. Thus, the greatest minds (say, von Mises) and the worst minds (say, insane criminals) are likely to be men. But this has little bearing on the average person's role. Men are physically
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Mar 5 2013
  • Re: Odd anti NAP argument

    >I can't see his argument. Ditto. "I had the opportunity in 1985 to ask Murray Rothbard a question." Too bad the author couldn't tell us the answer... :/ "Government should protect people without violating their rights. It can be done, too" This appears to be a contradiction, since taxation is a violation of rights. "By
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Mar 5 2013
  • Re: Doctors Treating the Unconscious--Implied Contracts

    "If a doctor chances on a stranger lying unconscious on the street, treats him, and later demands a fee, has he a legal claim?" No. Hopefully the doctor is charitable, or the unconcious person signed an agreement ahead of time to pay in this event. Also, if the person refuses to pay ex post, he may find himself in trouble if this happens a
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by baxter on Thu, Feb 14 2013
  • Re: Rumors of Bitcoin's death greatly exaggerated...

    ""no good can be employed for the function of a medium of exchange which at the very beginning of its use for this purpose did not have exchange value on account of other employments." Did BitCoins have initial employments other than mere exchange? For example, that of granting the holder perhaps desirable feelings and status of geekiness
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Feb 5 2013
  • Re: non austrian / libertarian influences

    > non austrian non libertarian resources from serious intellectuals Well, I'm a big fan of J. Scott Armstrong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Scott_Armstrong . He's an expert on forecasting and marketing, professor at Wharton business school, and founder of the International Journal of Forecasters. Google "principles of forecasting"
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Mon, Feb 4 2013
Page 7 of 37 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options