  • Re: Win/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS/WinPhone/other

    "The correct analogy [for Ubuntu] is rich people eating at Mom and Pop's Pizza instead of a nice restaurant etc." No, Mom and Pop's Pizza is still subject to market forces. Using Ubuntu is like a rich person eating at a homeless shelter. I continue to believe that an organization developing commercial software that has paying customers
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Mon, Feb 4 2013
  • Re: Win/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS/WinPhone/other

    Using Ubuntu is like eating donated food at a homeless shelter. The homeless people eating donated food aren't customers. The true customers are the philanthropists who donate the food and remove their felt uneasiness through acts of charity. That the food serves as a nutriment is a mere side effect not subject to market disciplines. Wouldn't
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Mon, Feb 4 2013
  • Re: Win/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS/WinPhone/other

    I'm using iPhone 4s. It is easy to use and I consider Androids to be flaky. The (mobile software) developers I know prefer iPhone, probably in part because iPhone executes native code, whereas Android has its slow virtual machine. No offense, but I find that it's generally lower class people who use Androids. I do not enjoy playing games on
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Mon, Feb 4 2013
  • Re: Madame Blavatsky... the Universe as an acting being

    >While Omega has a definite value, even its definition (algorithm to compute it) requires infinite information. It is irreducible. I still don't see things this way. Omega is reducible: the infinite digits of omega can be conceptually compressed back into the very definition whence it came. There is a trivial algorithm to approximate Omega that
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Thu, Dec 13 2012
  • Re: Madame Blavatsky... the Universe as an acting being

    I disagree Clayton. Chaitin's constant only requires a finite amount of information to define. Otherwise a definition couldn't even be given. It is not like most real numbers which require an infinite amount of information to specify (e.g. an endless Cauchy sequence of arbitrary numbers).
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Wed, Dec 12 2012
  • Re: Madame Blavatsky... the Universe as an acting being

    >Clayton: It is clear to me that p-adic numbers are in some sense more "fundamental" than the real numbers. Hmmm... I've never really thought about it before, but real numbers do bother me since any given real number may require an infinite amount of information to define. In fact, this is true for all but an infinitesimal proportion
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Wed, Dec 12 2012
  • Re: Madame Blavatsky... the Universe as an acting being

    This is kind of a late response but I noticed you guys were talking about two's complement. I wanted to note that the two's complement representation of -1, for example the 8-bit quantity 11111111b, can be extended infinitely to the left so that it is arguably a mathematically acceptable representation of -1, and not just a convenient computer
    Posted to General (Forum) by baxter on Tue, Dec 11 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    In any case we can agree that physicists generally suck at philosophy. Something like 58% of physcists adopt MWI. But MWI has no known measurable consequences. I still choose to rely on the experimentation that reveals the 4D hyperbolic geometry of the universe, again and again, rather than what my feeble eyes perceive.
    Posted to History (Forum) by baxter on Thu, Dec 6 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    [quote]the petitio principii implicit in the many-universes interpretation[/quote] Clayton, I'm not a fan of MWI (Many Worlds Interpretation) either. It is arbitrary, extremely weighty metaphysical baggage which has no scientific value. But I have trouble seeing the "petitio principii" fallacy there as you claim to. I simply see it as
    Posted to History (Forum) by baxter on Thu, Dec 6 2012
  • Re: Time Travel is Impossible

    >Clayton: Spherical and cylindrical geometries do have Euclidean representations Non-Euclidean manifolds can be envisaged as lying in a Euclidean manifold with a greater number of dimensions. But this involves introducing additional assumptions and is of little practical value in relativity. >Clayton: which is why we can easily visualize them
    Posted to History (Forum) by baxter on Wed, Dec 5 2012
Page 8 of 37 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options