  • Re: Theory of Conflict

    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Sat, Aug 18 2012
  • Joe Salerno's testimony to the House Fin Committee

    Take that Bernanke! http://financialservices.house.gov/media/pdf/031711salerno.pdf
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Thu, Mar 17 2011
  • Re: Question about Suicide

    Suicide is a feasible act, it is in everyones power to perform the act. With possible exceptions for the terminally ill. Suicide is an admissable act, because the fact is that it cannot be made inadmissable. Its inadmissability is unenforceable, and therefore for all intents and purposes meaningless. Stopping a suicide by any normal means is also both
    Posted to General (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Thu, Mar 17 2011
  • Re: Question about Suicide

    Consumariat - I think you may have read too much into what I said. I am not saying that I would not violate my mother's liberty in that situation, and I am also not saying that in the general case it is always wrong to violate someone's liberty. I was only pointing out that the wrong word had been used by the OP.
    Posted to General (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Wed, Mar 16 2011
  • Re: Can someone arbitrage me a Macky Dee's?

    Dave, You say that there is a McDs on every street and they are all packed, the same as the UK, but that doesn't mean the demand is the same! All it means is that in both countries the company is correctly priced, ie that the market clears and demand meets supply. If prices were as high in Prague as in the UK the quantity demanded would be considerably
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Mon, Mar 14 2011
  • Re: Question about Suicide

    The performance of suicide is not a right, it is a liberty. If you stop your mother from commiting suicide you are violating her liberty.
    Posted to General (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Mon, Mar 14 2011
  • Re: Hulsmann's 'A Theory of Interest'

    Seems to me that all this talk of 'pleasure' etc is just a dead end, and not really relevant to what Hulsmann is trying to say. I think the distinction between an activity that is an 'end in itself' and another activity that is a 'means to an end' can be defined. End in itself = When performed, there is no further effect arising
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Thu, Mar 3 2011
  • Re: Commodity Prices & Quantitative Easing

    Banks and corporations are sitting on large piles of cash. They don't want to invest it in expanding the business, too much risk. They don't want to leave it in dollars when the dollar is being killed by QE. They don't want to put it in bonds when they are yielding next to nothing. So, one of the most obvious options is commodities, they
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Wed, Feb 23 2011
  • Re: Looking for a laugh?

    I'm not a violent man, but I did feel an overwhelming urge to punch this guy. On a more intellectual note, his analogy is false anyway. Salt in the ocean is not a scarce good, hence it is not an economic good. So salt for fish would be analogous to air for humans, not money.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Wed, Feb 23 2011
  • Re: Our Favorite Tyrant

    I've been to the Libyan border (with Tunisia) although we didn't actually cross into Libya. Every few hundred yards along the road there is a street vendor selling oil at ridiculousy low prices from barrels. Sorry I can't remember the exact price but I remember doing the calculation against the Tunisian Dinar and almost fainting. Unfortunately
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by JohnnyFive on Mon, Feb 21 2011
Page 1 of 10 (93 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options