  • Re: Intellectual Property

    [quote user="Fred Furash"] tgibson11, I have a few questions for you. Excuse me if it sounds stupid or uninformed, since I haven't actually studied the various points of view about IP yet. This concerns the piracy of music. The only way I can download music without paying for it, is if somebody has at some point in time uploaded that music
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by tgibson11 on Mon, May 5 2008
  • Re: Intellectual Property

    [quote user="kingmonkey"]Property rights in anything come from using labor to produce them.[/quote] This the crux of the problem. If property rights come from using labor to produce something, then where does self-ownership come from? Wouldn't one be owned by one's parents instead (or God, the subject of another thread)? How does ownership
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sun, May 4 2008
  • Re: Intellectual Property

    [quote user="tgibson11"] Unfortunately, Rothbard is not particularly clear here. He correctly points out that no one has property rights in ideas. He then goes on about how one could agree to not use certain ideas as a term of purchase, which he refers to as contractual copyright. So far, so good. But he fails to emphasize that the copyright
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sun, May 4 2008
  • Re: Intellectual Property

    Posted that last one before I saw this. [quote user="kingmonkey"]Apple is the absolute owner of the physical products they produce until they sell them. But the sale of those products is conditional and contractual. When you purchase an iPod you do so with the understanding that you will not steal their design.[/quote] See my previous post
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sun, May 4 2008
  • Re: Intellectual Property

    [quote user="kingmonkey"]No it doesn't. If I build 10,000 Super Deluxe Widgets they are my property. But I can sell those Super Deluxe Widgets to whomever I want but under the condition that you cannot make copies of my Super Deluxe Widgets, mass produce them and sell those. And that is exactly what happens when you buy an iPod and you
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sun, May 4 2008
  • Re: Intellectual Property

    [quote user="kingmonkey"]Apple is the absolute owner of their products because they spend the time, money and capital to develop, build and market those products. For instance, the iPod is fully Apples own property which they produce and sell to others. [/quote] Yes, Apple is the absolute owner of the physical products they produce until they
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sun, May 4 2008
  • Re: My Concept Of Anarchy

    [quote user="kingmonkey"]And even without IP laws Apple would still be able to protect their designs through court enforcements (yeah, even private courts). Their 'designs', as you put it, are still their property anyway you cut it. Unless you feel that no matter what is created or invented is free for anyone to steal and copy without
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sun, May 4 2008
  • Re: How much profit is too much profit?

    [quote user="wuzacon"]Thankfully, for now, we are protected by the ban on direct taxation in the Constitution from a "psychic tax".[/quote] LOL!
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sun, May 4 2008
  • Re: What the most common myths about inflation??

    Sorry this is off topic. Can you explain what you mean by this: [quote user="JAlanKatz"]It's the same kind of thinking, by the way, which allows companies to have "human resources" departments.[/quote] I'm certainly no fan of HR departments, but I don't follow the connection to static vs. dynamic thinking.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sat, May 3 2008
  • Re: My Concept Of Anarchy

    [quote user="Debbie"] I have a question that I hope will be considered to be related to this post. Basically I am wondering how geographic boundaries might affect the possibilities of the varied anarchist societies. You say that an important part is simply that an individual can secede from an organization. So how does that come into play
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by tgibson11 on Sat, May 3 2008
Page 1 of 5 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | More Search Options