  • 5 Keys to a Successful Financial System?

    This just stated in my Econ 324 class, American Economic and Business History: These are the necessary components of a "good" financial system. Stable public finance and debt managements Stable money supply functioning banking system effective central bank Active securities market. How, oh how, do we combat this hypocrisy. They counteract
    Posted to My Two Cents... (Weblog) by csullivan on Fri, Oct 5 2007
  • Federal Gov't Shuts down NetBank

    Here's the story (pops). I'm curious as to your reaction to this? I am almost certain that this move will be applauded by most outlets as the government stepping in to do what is "right." Besides the obvious BS linked to any and all government interference, the fact that the Feds step in and shut down one bank while bailing out dozens
    Posted to General (Forum) by csullivan on Sat, Sep 29 2007
  • Re: Who was the worst president?

    [quote user="Niccolò"] There's a difference between any president? [/quote] Certainly is. Compare Lincoln to Van Buren and it becomes apparent.
    Posted to General (Forum) by csullivan on Sat, Sep 29 2007
  • Re: Did the Fed go too far?

    Doesn't the Fed go too far anytime is convenes? :) While it is nice to see the Fed looked upon in a very slightly less trusting manner, I wonder how much of that has to do with Bernanke? The media adored (and still adores, as evidenced by the last few weeks) Alan Greenspan. His predictions are still taken without so much as a "really?"
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by csullivan on Thu, Sep 27 2007
  • Who was the worst president?

    Hey all, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on the worst president is? Though I imagine a lot of people might feel that its Bush 2, lets keep it to presidents who have completed their term so as to minimize repitition :) I'd say my top three would be Lincoln, FDR, TR, with an honorable mention to Jimmy Carter for being an utter boob
    Posted to General (Forum) by csullivan on Thu, Sep 27 2007
  • Re: 5 Reasons Not to Vote

    JSH--I see your point, and I like it. It has made me rethink my position a bit... still, should we not try to scale back evil if we cannot eliminate it altogether?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by csullivan on Wed, Sep 26 2007
  • Re: 5 Reasons Not to Vote

    [quote user="Torsten"] Voting gives people the illusion that they have a say about how things are run in a country. That's why it is dealt out so easily to as many people as possible in a country. The power of the individual is actually eroded that way and the winning side is the establishment in media and civil society. Any party new
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by csullivan on Wed, Sep 26 2007
  • Re: Development Economics

    While I don't know the expansive full Austrian approach to this, I can pretty much guarantee it would be through the free market. If people are free to associate and trade as they wish, the "economy" of the "country" will develop. In that the State is wholly auxiliary to the proper running of a market economy, I think it could
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by csullivan on Wed, Sep 26 2007
  • Somalia story of the day--Worst in Corruption

    From this AP story : Somalia has been ravaged by violence and anarchy since warlords overthrew dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991 and then turned on one another. The current, U.N.-backed government was formed in 2004, but has struggled to assert any real control. So... the UN backed government has corruption problems... shocking!
    Posted to My Two Cents... (Weblog) by csullivan on Wed, Sep 26 2007
  • Re: 5 Reasons Not to Vote

    While I do understand the anti-voting folks--and often live by that same rule--I think that to completely write off voting is troublesome. While the system itself is bad, do we not have some moral obligation to try to fix it IF (and only if) a serious possibility of that change presents itself? I for one will vote for Ron Paul if given the chance next
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by csullivan on Wed, Sep 26 2007
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | More Search Options