  • Prices, and Production: Lecture III, Part II

    Once again, as done in previous lectures, we shall analyze the results of a scenario where consumers decide to save, and accordingly invest a larger portion of their income than before; however, here we shall see the effects the price of goods will have on the entire structure of production. As in the earlier elucidation, there will be an increased
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Thu, Jun 25 2009
  • Prices, and Production: Lecture III, Part I

    At this point it is necessary to introduce a distinction between producers' goods that can be used in many, if not all, stages of production, and those that can be used in one, at most a few, stages of production. To the first class belong almost all original means of production, and implements that are not specific as to their use, Hayek gives
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Wed, Jun 10 2009
  • The Action-Axiom: A Kantian Understanding of the Action-Axiom, and Its Praxeological Conclusions

    The synthetic a priori judgment can guide our comprehension of the action-axiom, and similarly can do so for our comprehension of the entire structure of praxeology, more specifically its advantages over empirical techniques. The synthetic a priori is true because it is the manner by which we necessarily experience the world, there is no way beyond
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Tue, Jun 9 2009
  • Kant's Analytic-Synthetic Dichotomy

    In his Critique of Pure Reason , Immanuel Kant defines a synthetic judgments as one in which the predicate “B lies outside of the concept A, though connected with it,” as opposed to analytic ones in which “the predicate B belongs to the subject A as something which is (covertly) contained in the concept A” . He then proceeds
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Mon, Jun 8 2009
  • The Action-Axiom: Introduction

    The action-axiom is the basis of all praxeology, and it is the basic proposition that all specimens of the species homo sapiens, the homo agens, purposefully utilize means over a period of time in order to achieved desired ends. In Human Action , Mises defined “action” in the sense of the action axiom by elucidating: Human action is purposeful
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Sun, Jun 7 2009
  • Prices, and Production: Lecture II, Part IV

    At last we are ready to begin the main problem of this lecture, that is the problem of how a transition to a more capitalistic structure of production, or vice versa, is brought about, and what are the conditions that must be fulfilled for a new equilibrium to be brought about. The first of the two is simple the answer: such a change will manifest itself
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Sat, Jun 6 2009
  • Prices, and Production: Lecture II, Part III

    It is now time to add the flow of money into Hayek's theoretical apparatus. While the Hayekian triangle is used to illustrate the movement of goods through the economy's structure of production, it is just as legitimately utilized as a schematic to elucidate the flow of money. When the goods are moving from the bottom to the top of the triangle
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Thu, Jun 4 2009
  • Prices and Production: Lecture II, Part II

    The most essential feature of the capitalist system of production, as stated in the prior entry, is the fact that at any moment a larger quantity of the original means of production is being employed for the satisfaction of a future time. The raison d' ê tre for the capitalist system is that by lengthening the process of production, it is
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Sun, May 31 2009
  • Prices, and Production: Lecture II, Part I

    Lecture 2: “The Conditions between the Production of Consumers' Goods, and the Production of Producers' Goods” In order to understand how prices influence the amount of goods produced, it is necessary to understand the causes behind variations in industrial output. Economic theory at the publication of Prices of Production (1933
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Sat, May 23 2009
  • An Example of the State of Higher Eduction

    Among the classes that I am taking at the University of Massachusetts Amherst includes an introduction to political economy, and, ever since the first day of class, it has been not only disappointing, but consisting only in fallacies. Nevertheless, everything prior pales in comparison to a comment my professor made today in respect to taxing carbon
    Posted to The Critiques: An Analysis (Weblog) by laminustacitus on Wed, Mar 25 2009
Page 2 of 3 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | More Search Options