  • Re: "Awful Austrians"

    [quote]Math and logic are ways of describing how we talk about things. They're not descriptions of reality in and of themselves. It's not like science, where gravity refers to an actual thing. There are no "ones" in the universe. It's just a thing we generalize about so as better to discuss things.[/quote] If numbers aren't
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Wed, May 11 2011
  • Re: Hobbesian argument for government

    Jasay kicks out every leg the Hobbesian hypothesis has to stand on in Chapter 1.5 of The State . Give it a read.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Mon, May 2 2011
  • Re: What's the action axiom?

    [quote]Just wondering.[/quote] Action Axiom: For all x, if x is human, then x acts. The real meat is contained in the stipulative definitions of "human" and "action" given by Mises.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Fri, Mar 25 2011
  • Re: What is freedom?

    [quote]Liberty in a general legal sense means that one is presumed to be able to act unless someone else can cite a specific reason they ought to be prevented, i.e., if they can prove a tort.[/quote] Ricky James Moore II wins the thread.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Thu, Feb 17 2011
  • Re: Misuse of the term "Liberal"

    [quote]All liberals should uphold liberalised (i.e. a lack of) gun laws as well as greater political freedoms in general but progressive taxation and the welfare state are perfectly consistent with the ideology which was born out of the French Revolution and was associated with ideas of liberty, equality and fraternity.[/quote] Liberalism predates the
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Sun, Feb 6 2011
  • Re: Private Police Forces in Past Societies?

    [quote]So what you are saying is it's possible to make a proposition without actually supporting it?[/quote] It is possible to state a proposition without affirming or denying it, but in this case Mises denies it (which I implied when I said that he refuted it). [quote]If one does not refute a proposition made, as Solid_Choke suggested Mises did
    Posted to History (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Fri, Feb 4 2011
  • Re: Private Police Forces in Past Societies?

    [quote]Not sarcasm. However, what does my signature by Ludwig von Mises mean to you?[/quote] [quote]"There is no such thing as a universally valid logic." - Ludwig von Mises, Human Action [/quote] [quote]There was still the main obstacle to overcome: the devastating criticism of the economists. Marx had a solution at hand. Human reason, he
    Posted to History (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Fri, Feb 4 2011
  • Re: Why Are Liberals Liberals?

    [quote]Seems like you guys should start a theists vs atheists thread. [/quote] Right....because if there is one thing the internet needs it is another theism versus atheism thread.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Mon, Jan 24 2011
  • Re: The Best Exposition of ABCT I've Encountered.

    [quote]And comparative advantage, all though important, really isn't that big of an idea.[/quote] WTF?! The law of comparative advantage is probably the most surprising and important conclusion reached in all of the social sciences let alone economics. It is kind of a big deal.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Mon, Jan 24 2011
  • Re: Private Police Forces in Past Societies?

    In the Middle Ages , communes served as private police forces.
    Posted to History (Forum) by Solid_Choke on Sun, Jan 23 2011
Page 1 of 79 (783 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options