  • Re: Hayek and Praxeology Revisited

    Thanks for sharing that with us, it was most interesting.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Fried Egg on Wed, Sep 26 2012
  • Another attack on the Gold Standard

    In this article (in the UK right-wing press) is an attack on the idea that we should consider returning to any kind of Gold Standard. He then proceeds to criticise the record of the previous gold Standard. Setting aside his critique of the corrupted system that existed in various forms after WWI, I would prefer to focus on his criticisms of the "classic"
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Fried Egg on Tue, Sep 4 2012
  • Re: The need for pragmatic policy prescriptions

    [quote user="Anenome"]Perhaps it is idealist, but should that really mean it is unobtainable?[/quote] I'm not saying it's unobtainable in the longer term, nor that it shouldn't be amply discussed. But I just think that a commentary on current events now is just as important. [quote]If we showed them a society predicated on Austrian
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Fried Egg on Mon, May 28 2012
  • Re: The need for pragmatic policy prescriptions

    That is all very well Anenome, but it is idealism. I don't have anything against this picture you're painting but I'm coming at this from more an an economic and pragmatic perspective. The idea that the private sector can't heal itself if left to it's own devices is a growing consensus and the idea that we need the government to
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Fried Egg on Fri, May 25 2012
  • Re: The need for pragmatic policy prescriptions

    Look, we need somebody to counter the prattling of Paul Krugman whos running commentry on our economic policy is most annoying. He's even coming to the UK next week to try and ram home his message that we shouldn't be trying to balance the books and should spend like crazy to get ourselves out of recession.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Fried Egg on Fri, May 25 2012
  • Re: The need for pragmatic policy prescriptions

    I think at times of economic crisis (such as now), the public (and hence public policy) become more open to more radical ideas and I think that the Austrian Perspective did seem to enter more widely into the arena of public thought as the crisis unfolded. But I sense, and it maybe just me, that the scales are new tipping away from this perspective and
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Fried Egg on Fri, May 18 2012
  • The need for pragmatic policy prescriptions

    I know that a lot of people here are all out purists but I think that what is needed, now more than ever, is public policy advice from the Austrian school that is first and foremost pragmatic. By pragmatic I mean: Has some likelyhood that it might get enacted. No central bank is going to be abolished in the near future, the welfare state is here to
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Fried Egg on Wed, May 16 2012
  • Re: What minarchists and marxists have in common

    Why single out minarchists and anarcho-communists? Couldn't it be said that everyone except for anarcho-capitalists believe the state is necessary in order to maintain private property.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Fried Egg on Thu, May 10 2012
  • Re: Why Are Most Mises Users from the US?

    Well, there's a programme on British radio tonight (BBC Radio 4): Keynes v Hayek: Two economic giants go head to head . Hopefully it will help bring Austrian ideas to the wider public over here.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Fried Egg on Wed, Aug 3 2011
  • Re: Why Are Most Mises Users from the US?

    Speaking as someone from the UK, that had a tradition of free markets but that has been quite heavilly eroded, I can say that libertarian/free market ideas are so far outside of the general mind set as to seem completely looney and extreme by the vast majority of people here. Holding these beliefs myself it can often be quite difficult and infuriating
    Posted to General (Forum) by Fried Egg on Tue, Jul 26 2011
Page 1 of 17 (166 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options