  • Re: The Reminiscing Thread

    Been a while. I check in a couple time a day to see what you young whipper-snappers are up to. Don't really have anything to contribute except that I have had a great learning experience reading all the action here over the years. The complexion of the Institute will be forever altered without this community forum. It does seem to me, however, that
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by G8R HED on Sat, Dec 15 2012
  • Re: The road to Austrian school

    Andre Marrrou => Thomas Sowell => Jacob Hornberger => Lew Rockwell => Mises.org Took me more than 40 years and 9/11 to chance upon mises.org. I had never heard of Mises, Hayek, Rothbard, or Rand before that. I was an economics major back in the early '80s (punch-card computers and pac-man) but felt that there was something wrong with
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by G8R HED on Sat, Mar 5 2011
  • Re: Examples of spontaneous order

    Pay toilet
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by G8R HED on Sat, Mar 5 2011
  • Re: Business regulations - can we manage without them?

    [quote] "a barber who through negligence causes you to contract a disease" [/quote] Barber on one side of street..... "WARNING: Enter my barbershop if you are not diseased." Barber on the other side of street.... "WARNING: Enter my barbershop if you have AIDS"
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by G8R HED on Tue, Dec 14 2010
  • Re: A question about religion.

    Prateek - [quote]So my question: Why are Christians so chivalrous and Muslims so cruel?[/quote] I don't see that any faith, religion, or personal belief can explain aggression and violence. Individual perception concerning in-tolerance (toward any other faith, religion or personal belief) is the motivation toward aggression or cooperation. Motivation
    Posted to History (Forum) by G8R HED on Tue, Dec 7 2010
  • Re: Intentional Killing: Murder vs. Hunting vs Execution

    [quote] So what would it mean for somebody to shoot dogs for fun? 1. They would have to be a psychopath in the formal sense of the term - somebody with impaired moral sentiments. 2. They would have to a big disregard for how other people see them, because most people - those with working moral sentiments - would be disgusted by killing a dog for fun
    Posted to General (Forum) by G8R HED on Sun, Dec 5 2010
  • Re: What is pragmatic? What is utilitarian?

    Pragmatism is personal constraint based on common and generally accepted norms. A utilitarian choice serves self interest with positive externalities accruing to others. Both fit into praxeology and the Miseian conception of human action because they are subjectively determined and non-coerced.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by G8R HED on Sat, Dec 4 2010
  • Re: What Exactly is a "Crisis"?

    [quote]"From the Austrian perspective, what exactly defines a "crisis"?"[/quote] Legal plunder!
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by G8R HED on Thu, Dec 2 2010
  • Re: Beer

    Guinness! It's Good For You! ;)
    Posted to General (Forum) by G8R HED on Mon, Nov 29 2010
  • Re: What is your favorite anti-war movie or movie that depicts the horrors of war?

    "......the horr-or.....the horr-or..." I liked the original theatrical version of Apocalypse Now better than the Redux. The original had a long segment of music and nepalm that ran through the credits and was quite mesmerizing. All Quiet On the Western Front is a great example for this topic but I think that the book was much more graphic
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by G8R HED on Sat, Nov 27 2010
Page 1 of 13 (128 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options